Boost Lee

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Thanks guys. I am in Hamilton Ontario. Not every car is rusted in Canada Nailhead. The secret is not driving it in the salt.

I will continue to advertise parts here. Also there are a few groups on Facebook. Turbo Buicks of Southern Ontario TBSO, G body of Ontario and a popular one here is Kijiji. The control arms went to a guy from Quebec. The 8.5 has also been sold through Kijiji. Pretty sure I advertised it here first. The advantage to Kijiji, you get offers without the opinions. Here was just 10 replies about, I'm asking too much or an 8.8 can be done for cheaper.

After rebuilding, actually just replaced the dust boot on my steering shaft. It was ripped but the joint had no play and the rag joint is like new. Read all the threads about the Jeep steering shafts but I wasn't sure if the Jeep shaft has provision for telescoping. With my rag joint having no play and a new boot, this is like original. Installed that yesterday.

Next is new idler and centerlink. Moog is attractive price but there are many bad reviews. Also need wheel bearings for the Blazer brake spindles.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-11 at 1.33.25 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-11 at 1.33.25 PM.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
The 8.5 has also been sold through Kijiji. Pretty sure I advertised it here first. The advantage to Kijiji, you get offers without the opinions. Here was just 10 resplies about, I'm asking too much or an 8.8 can be done for cheaper.
Negative remarks about the 8.5 G body rear are common and usually come from people that don’t have two pennies to rub together. It’s funny that the last two I sold went for over 1500 each and sold in a day.

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
After rebuilding, actually just replaced the dust boot on my steering shaft. It was ripped but the joint had no play and the rag joint is like new. Read all the threads about the Jeep steering shafts but I wasn't sure if the Jeep shaft has provision for telescoping. With my rag joint having no play and a new boot, this is like original. Installed that yesterday.
What's all involved with replacing the boot? I have a spare here that's all ripped up & not sure how long until the other one will tear.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks guys. I am in Hamilton Ontario. Not every car is rusted in Canada Nailhead.

I'm confident that you don't use the volume of salt that we do here either. Another member posted pics from either Saskatchewan or Alberta last winter showing there car with snow build up on the quarters with no salt mixed in. I was dumbfounded and went back to that photo 100 times lol.

Here most everyone donates a vehicle to salt annihilation and assumes that in 5-7 years it will be a rusty pos.

I missed your listing of the 8.5. I do find it amazing that people can comment with such ridiculousness - if you don't want it, then don't buy it and keep the comments to yourself. But that's a tall order for us silly Americans.

Good luck with this, excited to see the end results - Jim

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I'm confident that you don't use the volume of salt that we do here either. Another member posted pics from either Saskatchewan or Alberta last winter showing there car with snow build up on the quarters with no salt mixed in.

Here most everyone donates a vehicle to salt annihilation and assumes that in 5-7 years it will be a rusty pos.
My brother has a dealer license. The Canadian cars that show up at West Michigan auctions always show signs of severe salt and chloride exposure. I’m assuming many of them come from just across the border and Ontario pours it on. They are to be avoided. A couple friends of mine that live in Windsor bought new Dodge trucks at the same time (because they were the cheapest option 🙄). Four years later they both had outer body rust through. 😳

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My brother has a dealer license. The Canadian cars that show up at West Michigan auctions always show signs of severe salt and chloride exposure. I’m assuming many of them come from just across the border and Ontario pours it on. They are to be avoided. A couple friends of mine that live in Windsor bought new Dodge trucks at the same time (because they were the cheapest option 🙄). Four years later they both had outer body rust through. 😳
I shouldn't have assumed anything, because I don't know. If Ontario is anything like Upstate NY, then I agree 120%. Buy stock in Cargill Salt mines.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I am in upstate NY and during the winter the roads are brown from slush, white with snow or white with a hint of gray showing through the salt. It takes till beginning of April for all of the salt to be washed off of all the roads. I have found the best protection for cars is not to store them in a warm garage. If it stays colder it slows the corrosive reaction.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Krown. Everything.

I cannot give G-body parts away. So they are going in the garbage. Oh well.

Making one car out of two is how I got my Turbo Buick on the road. Made a good chunk of change back on the extra BRF transmission, 8.5, trunk lid and hood, interior parts, wiring harness, and so on. Of course this was 20 years ago when the cars were still popular.

Looking forward to seeing one saved.

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Looking forward to more updates, just to give you a heads up when you put a pic in the post you can click insert then it lets you do full image or a thumbnail in the post itself. If you do multiple pics then at the bottom left of the first it gives you an option to do it to them all

Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
This will not be in order. I didn't know anyone would be interested in the sequence of events. So it started with me looking at 5 or more GN's. Nothing decent was within my budget. Then I found this car 15 minutes from my work. It was within my $$ but it needed a major repair which was beyond my capabilities but since it was so mint from the damage back, rust free and only 82500km a deal was made. It also came with a parts cars that would donate it's frame, hood, passenger fender, header panel and front bumper and most importantly the frame.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 8.02.42 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 8.02.42 PM.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 141
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 8.02.54 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 8.02.54 PM.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 135
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 8.03.33 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-15 at 8.03.33 PM.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor