BOP Trans With Adapter Plate For SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Need to replace my TH350 with a TH400 and looking at TCI transmissions. They have a package deal with the Street Fighter but it's only with the BOP trans due to low inventory. It does come with an adapter plate to bolt to the SBC and that it my concern. I'm not too sure I'm liking the adapter plate idea. I could get the TH400 that bolts directly to my block but I would then need to get any additional things I may need (torque converter, fluid etc.) in the kit separately. What are the pro's and con's of the adapter plate? Also, what are some of you guys running for TH400 transmissions?

Blueprint 383
450 HP
473 TQ

Thanks Gents

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have used adapters in the past and they work fine but if I was buying new I would just get the Chevy version, IMO I would rather piece together my own "kit" anyways.

Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If you have a welder that does aluminum it is pretty easy to add the 4 ears and make it a universal case.

The bottom 2 bolts and the dowel pins are the same BOP or Chevy so you can align it up to a block real easy and know it will fit properly.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I have used adapters in the past and they work fine but if I was buying new I would just get the Chevy version, IMO I would rather piece together my own "kit" anyways.
The kit has what I want anyway except for the BOP Trans case. But I do agree, I usually pick my own stuff as opposed to getting a kit.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I wouldn’t be worried about using only 4 bolts. And definitely wouldn’t worry about using an adapter.

But I agree that it would be best with the correct pattern.

Consider I’m running a 4L80 for a SBC/BBC bolt pattern on an LS that only takes 5 of 6 bolts without issue (and I’m putting the wood to it most of the time.)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The kit has what I want anyway except for the BOP Trans case. But I do agree, I usually pick my own stuff as opposed to getting a kit.
Well if the price is right then get it, The adapter will be fine for mild applications for sure, I had one behind my 496 BBC and ended up blowing the trans but I still have the adapter.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Just my opinion but I kind of feel this package is a way for TCI to get rid of the BOP transmissions which are probably a hard sell at this point with so many going to LS instead of building their old school Buick, Olds and Pontiac engines, especially since it includes the adapter to entice the Chevy guys.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Just my opinion but I kind of feel this package is a way for TCI to get rid of the BOP transmissions which are probably a hard sell at this point with so many going to LS instead of building their old school Buick, Olds and Pontiac engines, especially since it includes the adapter to entice the Chevy guys.
Hadn't thought of that. Good point.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have a 71 442 TH400 "OG" coded transmission behind the 502 in the bubba truck. I had to use an adapter plate with spacer washers for the torque converter. Wasn't preferred choice #1, but if you have to, it does perfectly fine behind a big block I can't see why it wouldn't survive the 383.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor