Bought Another One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011
this tan one. looks like itll clean up real nice actually... interiors pretty damn clean, and i got the engine to run for a few seconds, as its been sitting and hadnt been started for 3 years... poured some gas in and it started right up. 56k on the 307, all original.... he wont go below a thousand though, i went with 500 and he wouldnt budge. so im still saving to try and get it... i just dunno how its gonna look with my ralley wheels on it with white letters, the color doesnt seem too sporty as opposed to silver or something.. what do you all think of it ?

2011-04-11170752-1.jpg

2011-04-11170654-1.jpg

2011-04-10144009.jpg

2011-04-10144004.jpg

2011-04-10143956.jpg

and i wanna do the white letter rallies... just dunno if theyd look right.
2011-12-10153915.jpg

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Re: working on getting another one...

Looks like a pretty straight car (fix the dent in the fender there) How's the under side of it look :?: If it has a rust free frame, $1000 isn't too bad at all :mrgreen:

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011

its got a pretty solid frame from what i remember... but i was actually pretty surprised to hear it run after just sticking my battery in it and some gas :p

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA

i gotta be honest, if the dash and interior was clean id say its probably alright. but i dont think thats worth it for 1000 and I think you can find better. That is a no options car and from where it is sitting, I would assume you will find something you dont like underneath that car. Looks like a 400 dollar car to me

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.

I paid $1,000 for my 88 cutlass in similar condition but with a very clean interior. I think it's probably worth it, but you should jack it up and reall inspect underneath the car and really check out the frame. For $1,000 I got a rust free Oklahoma car with some of the original undercoat still in place under the wheel wells on nearly perfect ralley rims off a MC.

I will say this though, 56k og miles my *ss. Look at the car for what it is, not what some guy says it is. **** what some dude said, it really is what it is and filter him out. I bought my car knowing full well it had went over the od twice and was at 200k + miles, and I was fine with that. You just do what really needs to be done and drive the car a short distance. If you can feel it limping, the frame is cracked or the car was wrecked and rebuilt before and that guy is a liar then. Also, silver is not a sporty color its just a nicer shade of gray!

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011

im not looking for too many options.. just a car to drive while i redo my other one. i wont buy a honda or any other import for that matter, i stick to g bodies because i know them so well. not only that, but i need a car asap. its getting harder and harder to find a ride to school and i just want my freedom back... around here i aint gonna find another 500 dollar cutty or regal like ive done in the past... so im just going with what i can get. its decent enough to sport around.

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit

$1000 doesn't seem to bad (but then again decent g bodies are hard to come by in Michigan so we tend to pay more for them) however it looks like the rear bumper is sagging so take a real good look at the rear frame rails and make sure they're solid (learned that one the hard way).

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011

pencero said:
I paid $1,000 for my 88 cutlass in similar condition but with a very clean interior. I think it's probably worth it, but you should jack it up and reall inspect underneath the car and really check out the frame. For $1,000 I got a rust free Oklahoma car with some of the original undercoat still in place under the wheel wells on nearly perfect ralley rims off a MC.

I will say this though, 56k og miles my *ss. Look at the car for what it is, not what some guy says it is. **** what some dude said, it really is what it is and filter him out. I bought my car knowing full well it had went over the od twice and was at 200k + miles, and I was fine with that. You just do what really needs to be done and drive the car a short distance. If you can feel it limping, the frame is cracked or the car was wrecked and rebuilt before and that guy is a liar then. Also, silver is not a sporty color its just a nicer shade of gray!
well, ill definitely be sure to look under it real well when i go back out there when the snow melts & dries up. the body is in pretty damn decent shape though, i mean listening to the door shut its like a brand new car. however, i cant drive it until i drain the gas tank to get that old gas out. whats the easiest way to do it? or do i just have to drop it & whatnot?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.

Ideally you'd want to drop the gas tank, but the problem becomes disposal. This presents a legal problem. I see you live in Missouri so police presence is probably minimal. You could easily get away with what needs to be done, although I'd stress you should please take advantage of the sewer rather than the forest - dont be an *******!

You could also just dump 3 - 4 octane boosters in there and if the car ran for a few seconds you should be able to get it to run again but you will have to sit in the car for more than an hour holding the throttle 1/4 or more of the way - which really sucks because I see theres not a radio in there to occupy your time if you chose that route. Just be aware that if you suddenly become fatigued doing it this way the car might have an exhaust leak and be killing you, so then you'll have to stop immediately before you pass out in the car if that happens.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

Im with everyone else about looking at the underside. If its in good shape then $1000 is a good deal. But if your looking for something to drive to school and back I wouldnt be looking at this car. I made the same mistake buying my Monte as a daily driver. I spent $750 on it and within a year I had $3000 in receipts to things that went wrong. Find yourself a nice small 30mpg+ car so your not at the mercy of your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor