Bought tires from Walmart, now I know why they are so cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
I was looking for BFG Radial T/A's in 225/60/15's, all over the local area. Cheapest I found was about $700. Then went to walmart, and they wanted $500 for a set ($555 with tax and recycling fees). So I ordered them Friday, and they came in today.
To make a long story, short....I called up and was told over the phone I had an appointment to get the tires mounted on my rims. I get there after work, and get told to get in the back of the line. The line happens to be an oil change line, with cars wrapped around the building.
By the time I get up to the front, they just quit taking customers there for tires. I sat in my car for 2 hours, just to get told I can come back at 7 in the morning, like it's a privilege. So I went inside paid for the tires, and took them home. Tomorrow, on my lunch break, I'll have to swing by the Firestone on post and get em mounted there.
So now I understand how Walmart sells the tires so cheap. They have the worst customer service I've ever seen, in a tire shop, with their underpayed employee's, and inexperienced / cheap-labor service/tech guys. I will definitely pay a little extra next time, to not have to deal with crap like that again. In fact, if I can help it, I will try to not buy anything from Walmart, period. I hate everything that they stand for. They killed most of the grocery/retail industry, by underselling everyone, with cheap chinese crap, and now that they pretty much have a monopoly, they have been jacking up the prices on everything.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Re: Bought tires from Walmart, now I know why they are so ch

Welcome to the new American business model. Undercut the homegrown competition with cheap imported crap, then when they fold, raise prices to what they were before, pocketing the difference. Brilliant. So much for the "job creators" class. :roll:

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012

I know what you mean.Ijust got new tires and was going to get them at walmart but theytold me they would have to order.so i go to the store to pay for them,they tell me they cant order them and i would have to go to another store.They would not even call around for me to see which store had them.So i went to another tire shop and they actually gave me a better deal on a set of 4,i ended up saving about 125 dollars.also i have heard they sell factory seconds and that some tires might be new but have been sitting in a warehouse for years.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

gwhiz said:
I know what you mean.Ijust got new tires and was going to get them at walmart but theytold me they would have to order.so i go to the store to pay for them,they tell me they cant order them and i would have to go to another store.They would not even call around for me to see which store had them.So i went to another tire shop and they actually gave me a better deal on a set of 4,i ended up saving about 125 dollars.also i have heard they sell factory seconds and that some tires might be new but have been sitting in a warehouse for years.

It's true about the new tires actually being like 6 years old. I always check the DOT code on the tires. It gives you the year and week if when it was manufactured. I saw at Canadian tire they were advertising new tires but when I checked the code they were actually from 2009. So be careful guys about that

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA

I have been using discount tire direct or tirerack.com I have always had good luck with these guys looks like they have the BFG for $131 each with free ship and no tax!

I got 4 Tires for the wifes PILOT 245/65/17 for $457 delivered to my door. They send paperwork with them with local installers in my area "certified" by them ...whcih I chose Sears, ours is pretty good at least for tires, cost me another $80 for install, road force balance, and lifetime rotations.

I avoid wally world at all costs (except motor oil.....cant beat that price plus free drop off of used oils)

Nov 4, 2012

I got lucky and got all my tires for free. Though I got screwed with the $80 mounting fee. They are used, but they still got lots of good tread on them. But they aren't white letter BF Goodrichs though, just blackwall Goodyears. :(

bisketto

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013

one of the other reasons why they can sell tires so cheap is that they have the tire manufacturers make lesser quality tires especially for them but keep the same tread pattern and name as their non walmart tire counterparts. If you were to look at the SKU number on the tires there and compare them to tirerack.com you will see the difference. I am the parts manager at a dealership in my town and see this quite often. They can underbid me with their "club tires" because of this and also their massive buying power but you truly get a lesser quality product.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012

dont assume that they are always the cheapest.With the economy the way it is every shop wants your buissines,so if you do some research ,you can get more for your money.I found tons of rebates and promotions online and in store.If the shop cant price match they might throw in a alingment,road hazzard or free oil changes etc.Remember tires are not cheap anymore so if you are laying down 600 to 1000 dollars or more,be sure it is somewhere they will backup their products if you ever have a issue with them.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana

I absolutely hate Walmart. When I buy tires from Walmart, I get them cash & carry & have a local small busn tire shop install them. If I get up early & go to that shop, I can be outta there in 10-30 min. They only charge $10 a tire. The only time I'd ever buy tires at Walmart is because of the price, which can run cheaper if they're running a special. I don't even trust Walmart to put tires on..especially on my hurst olds wheels. The guy at the local shop knew exactly what wheels they were & was extra careful. I usually try to pick up tires off of Craigslist..tires are priced rediculously! I picked up a pair of like new 265-50-15's last night for $40! I didn't need them right this second, but couldn't pass up the deal!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

I get most of my tires from a local used tire place. $150-$160 mounted and balanced for a set of 4. Most have 80-90% tread. Had really good luck over the past 10 years and saved thousands. Those guys actually know about tires. Most Walmart "technicians" shouldn't be trusted to check your air pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor