bowl blending a set of 882 heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
South Buffalo / West seneca NY
Well i scored a set of 882 heads that where at a shop that a guy had work done but did int want them. so i picked them up for $50 :D they where Cleaned, checked for cracks, had a valve job done, positive valve seals installed new springs and retainers.

so i disassemble them and started to clean up the ruff casting in the Exhaust runners and blending in the high spots in the intake bowls i have not started in the intake runners for that i am just going to use a cartrige role and knock off the stuff sticking parting lines. how is this looking? should i stop here??

so how is this looking i was going to stop here and move on to cleaning up the intake runners.

Pic before I started you can see the ledge raw casting and the machined part

GEDC0095.jpg

GEDC0091.jpg

this is where i am at now

GEDC0094.jpg

GEDC0100.jpg

GEDC0098.jpg

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
Dont mean to burst your bubble with my opinion.....BUT....882 heads were the first smog heads...and they are chokers..jmo

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
gpguy said:
Dont mean to burst your bubble with my opinion.....BUT....882 heads were the first smog heads...and they are chokers..jmo

o boy here we go now ..... :roll: yes the 882 are smog heads but they don't "Suck" what makes them not wanted is the huge 76cc chambers but i dont care i am only sooting for 9~9.5:1 this is not an all out trying to get all the power out of this 350 i have a BBC 396 for that.

Ok to fill you in because i am going to guess my 1 post got lost int he mix. I am doing a low budget 350 build scavenging parts from friends and looking for deals. this is going to replace my 10.25:1 396 for a few years as i go though it to fix the rotating assembly and do some head work. so you can say this is the practice head.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
The 333882, the best of the "bad" smog heards (as they were sometimes called!). This head is identical to the 333881 (which had its valve spring seat dimension on the exhaust valves increased to 0.84 to except the 2.02/1 60 valves and it had a 76.18cc combustion chamber). ...Some 882 heads came with the 2.02/1.60 valves too. ...The 882 is very similar to the3998993. ... The 882 has a tapered spark plug seat and a double heat riser passage. ... This info is from 1970-75 Chevrolet by the Numbers book. ... Good luck with your build!

Doug

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
Started on the other head used the carbide burr to get the meet out then started to use the stones and you do feel more in control with the stones.
i am just using a cheep autozone stones & dremel

GEDC0141.jpg

GEDC0140.jpg

GEDC0139.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor