Boxing g body frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
Is boxing a g body frame worth it? I am putting in a 5.3 and 4l60e. Planning around 400 hp to flywheel. Rear gears I haven't decided on yet. It has a grand national 8.5 open 3.42 now. I am planning on bringing to track about 5 times a year.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Is boxing a g body frame worth it? I am putting in a 5.3 and 4l60e. Planning around 400 hp to flywheel. Rear gears I haven't decided on yet. It has a grand national 8.5 open 3.42 now. I am planning on bringing to track about 5 times a year.
If you are already there, then yes I would box it with all the bracing you can get.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
It makes a bigger difference than i had thought. My buddy's regal is boxed with full bracing. Mine is not boxed, and has no bracing. During a simple tire change, i can jack up one corner pretty high and the other 3 wheels stay put. In his car, jacking up one corner often lifts 3 wheels off the ground. Since sway bars and body braces do nothing for "twist" in the middle of the body, i would think this is a direct result of boxing the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
all these frames should be boxed, it makes the car stable and stops it from twisting. Jacking up one corner will show you how much the car twists with open C channels.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and while you're at it check the factory welds on the frame, you'll most likely find voids and poorly welded seams

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
one other thing, you'll have the change the location of the fuel and brake lines when boxing the c channels. I replace all my lines at the same time and used cunifer for the brake lines . I used clamps like these to secure the lines.

p30529_1.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I also used stainless cushion clamps to hold my braided fuel lines and also on my 1/0 battery cable running to the front of the car.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor