Boxing lower control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I picked up a spare rear and it came with control arms. I was thinking of boxing the lowers and swapping them in. I tried to search on here to see if it was a good or bad idea and couldn’t come up with a solid answer.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
boxing is a good idea but if you have the a stock sway car in rear I think that stiffens up the lowers

Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You know it can't be bad - make sure you leave enough room in your uppers for movement and install support in the lowers for a sway bar.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think boxing them is not a bad solution. It's still better than your typical stock stamped lower control arms. However, I do like the aftermarket tubular control arms. I boxed my lowers and didn't bother doing the uppers. I would also suggest installing new bushings as well. I used the Camaro 1LE bushings on mine.
I don't think they're available any longer, but there's other options out there.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
It couldn’t hurt, especially with a stiffer rear sway bar. But I’d keep rubber bushings in the arms, after seeing some of the stuff UNGN went through with road racing- I don’t feel it’s worth the risk with northern backroads IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
If the arms are in good shape , use them. For my Malibu, I went to the yard and cherry picked a set off a 2000 Camaro. Rust free and twenty year newer bushings.

timo22

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Boxing the stock lower arms is a bad idea as they are designed to flex on purpose to prevent suspension binding and damage to the weak LCA mounts on the frame. The rear 4 link suspension relies on control arm flex and bushing deflection to operate correctly. Boxed arms and especially poly bushings induce binding issues. The only way to run box or tube rear arms is to use ones with spherical joints. Also its a good idea to weld on gussets to reinforce the LCA mounts. Even the stock rear sway bar causes binding, which is why the frame mount aftermarket sway bars are better.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'll disagree with that.

The uppers need to flex; the lowers do not. If you do box them, weld some sleeves in for the sway bar bolts, so it doesn't collapse when you tighten the bolts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I boxed the uppers and lowers on my cutlass, since i havent road tested it yet i cant say what that will be like however i cycled the suspension pretty hard from side to side with a floor jack under the axles and it seemed to travel fine and i didnt see much of any binding to speak of. I wont be running the factory sway bar however but i personally dont see the difference in boxing the stock arms vs a set of tubular arms that would be even more rigid and a lot of people run those on the street with no issues at all.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I boxed the uppers and lowers on my cutlass, since i havent road tested it yet i cant say what that will be like however i cycled the suspension pretty hard from side to side with a floor jack under the axles and it seemed to travel fine and i didnt see much of any binding to speak of. I wont be running the factory sway bar however but i personally dont see the difference in boxing the stock arms vs a set of tubular arms that would be even more rigid and a lot of people run those on the street with no issues at all.

There is a distinct difference between "no issues" and not knowing any better. One may not notice it on 'day one' or during the initial miles driven, but in time there will likely be an issue if put to the limits.

These suspensions were intended to have some flex as part of their functionality to survive on the road for x-amount of miles. If it doesn't get put to the limits, there really isn't a need to upgrade. If you upgrade for other reasons, anything that inhibits the suspensions ability to articulate smoothly will promote binding sooner than a stock suspension that could flex would. Again, in normal driving situations it won't be a big deal so binding while cruising around like a typical driver won't be an issue.

Binding while driving beyond 'normal range' (higher speeds + higher lateral loading) can cause the suspension to be upset during maneuvers. The moment it gets upset, it can be very unpredictable thus uncontrolled. That is NOT something you want to happen in those circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor