Bracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
I found some 1/2" electrical conduit pipe was wondering if anyone has use anything like this for under the hood and back seat bracing? If so you know what length they are and or pics of them to get in right location. Thanks

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I found some 1/2" electrical conduit pipe was wondering if anyone has use anything like this for under the hood and back seat bracing? If so you know what length they are and or pics of them to get in right location. Thanks

IMO, your best bet is to find factory bracing. I welded the rear seat brace from a Grand Prix into my car and looks as it should from the factory.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I used 3/4" EMT to make my fender to core support braces but I also made a crimper for my press to make a nice end on them.

IMG_0961.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Damn, that looks good.

And the gauges under the hood is a hell of an idea.. especially those two.

-Gonz

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Damn, that looks good.
And the gauges under the hood is a hell of an idea.. especially those two.
-Gonz
Thanks, I adjust my fuel pressure and vacuum pump using those gauges and it makes it much easier.

Reactions: 1 user

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
565bbchevy: Nice job on the 3/4" EMT bracing.

Do you have pics or video on the die or process that you used to get such nice crimps?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
565bbchevy: Nice job on the 3/4" EMT bracing.
Do you have pics or video on the die or process that you used to get such nice crimps?
Patent Pending, LOL sorry no pics of what I made but I based the crimp off of Ford stainless truck mirror arms and built a tool to mimic it.
I thought the style looked better than the GM crimps I have seen.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
YESsir..!!! That is the only down fall I have right now is how to make the ends for them you by chance have a picture of your dies . Thanks
No I don't have any pictures but I originally made it to crimp the rigid pipe I use for making jounce and GP bars so it is kind of overkill for EMT.
You can see the thickness difference compared to the factory one on the right.
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor