Brake booster filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
searching for a vacuum leak and replacing parts related.
Part is Not available anywhere
Is it flow through or one way check valve, and or is there alternative part or can be deleted
Other car don’t have it from what I seen. I’ve removed it sounds empty inside air flows freely.
The hose fitting on the booster I seen for sale come with and without check valve
If so which one do I need?
Thx

Attachments

• 2C6FFD7E-5114-4182-A1BE-637A16DD0E16.jpeg
    2C6FFD7E-5114-4182-A1BE-637A16DD0E16.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 90DFAE7A-9A1E-4312-8D19-F1D1212208C8.jpeg
    90DFAE7A-9A1E-4312-8D19-F1D1212208C8.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 101

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you want the Dorman part, the one Gwarren79 posted will work.

If you want to stick with GM, try 17056236. The 814s are hard to find and come by new.

Functionally, there's no difference. It's non-directional. It'll filter regardless of which way you mount it, although usually the 90 degree elbow is on the booster end.

Here's one for $14 and change. I don't know anything else about it or even if they still have it.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yea that's what I'm trying to figure out, the very little air that moves back and forth. Maybe oil vapors from the engine side but if anything that would help prevent corrosion in the booster.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not exactly, but you're on the right track. I've never had one apart so I'm not sure exactly how it's constructed inside, but it's supposed to be little charcoal bits. When the engine is shut off, guess where any fuel vapors could go? Yup. Could damage the brake booster guts and check valve rubber bits, thus, the requirement for the filter.

It's really nothing to do with actual filtering although I suppose it can physically filter the air from the booster going into the intake on startup to a point. If there's a diaphragm leak, it will filter that air that would leak through I suppose, but that's failure mode and it's really not designed for that.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Ah ok. Yea on the Carb stuff I can see that being a thing. EFI with the injectors squirting in the port on top of the valves the vapors would have to go up and down the runners, by that time heat would bake them off.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ah ok. Yea on the Carb stuff I can see that being a thing. EFI with the injectors squirting in the port on top of the valves the vapors would have to go up and down the runners, by that time heat would bake them off.
Still, the vapor doesn't vanish just because it "bakes off" in the intake ports. It will still make it to the brake booster unimpeded if the filter wasn't there the same way it would as a hot intake manifold. Direct injection MAYBE wouldn't be much of an issue, but if you're running a brake booster, it's still not a terrible idea to have a filter. It's about 1 ounce of weight and won't hurt if it is there. As stated by Rt Jam , it's more of a precaution than a need. Of course, if it's the original filter and it's 40 years old and it's still there, it probably isn't doing a whole lot anymore anyway? I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor