Brake Boosters what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
Hi guys, Does anybody know why early G-Bodies/A-bodies have different brake boosters? It looks like the early years get the bigger booster ( larger diameter) and the 81-88's get the small booster. Any difference? Why the change in boosters?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
To be honest I have never really noticed any difference between the single or double diaphram boosters in braking performance. I like/prefere the double diaphram one gause the look cleaner & don't take up as much firewall space.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Although there was not a specific option for the brakes I have noticed that the dual diaphragm seemed to be most common on cars with F41/heavy duty suspension. But that isn't necessarily gospel.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I still have the factory 9" dual diaphragm booster in my 83' Monte and it works well and also gives me the clearance I need for my BBC and IMO looks better than the pancake style single one.
And my car did come with factory F41 suspension.

Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My '81 Monte was originally a very basic 229 V6 car with out F41 suspension & came with the dual diaphram booster.

Reactions: 2 users

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
My 78 El Camino has the small thicker brake booster and my 81 Malibu has the bigger thin brake booster. So is the smaller thicker one the dual diaphram booster ?

Doug

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
There are two differences that I'm aware of : single diaphram (thin and larger diameter) and double diaphram (thick and smaller diameter), and second the master cylinder diameter bore is larger starting in '81 (I believe in '81, but could possibly be in '82).

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The brake booster is up there among the items that varied with no rhyme or reason. Other items I have seen variations on
are the steering boxes (605 vs 800) although F41 would have the 800 with variable or fast ratio depending on year.
aluminum rear brake drums
front air dam sizes
aluminum bumper supports
aluminum radiator supports
aluminum hoods and trunk lids
a/c compressor design (radial vs axial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor