Brake Boosters what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
New here, could you clarify the 605 vs 800 box? And was an aluminum radiator support a core support by chance? Apologies for the thread jack, but I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can to better learn what I have and what boneyard upgrades await me.

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
New here, could you clarify the 605 vs 800 box? And was an aluminum radiator support a core support by chance? Apologies for the thread jack, but I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can to better learn what I have and what boneyard upgrades await me.
The 605 steering box was the standard steering box used on the 78-88 A/G bodies. It has a round top cover retained with a snap ring.
The 800 box is a much more common box and was offered in many different ratios and varieties. It has a die cast aluminum cover retained with 4 bolts. Performance models used this model steering box.

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Crap, looks like I have the basic b*tch box. Was the 4 bolt the same as the later trucks? Minus the ratios.
No on the full size truck boxes. S10 boxes will interchange. 3rd Gen F body and B body up to 96.
80-up have metric Saginaw type threads for the hoses.
Also make sure you use the correct 78-88 A/G body pitman arm if you do the swap

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I have two 79 Monte Carlo's, Both were 267 non air F41 cars and have the large single booster and aluminum master cylinders. Years back I had a 79 Malibu Classic equipped basically the same (267, non air, F41,G80) but it also had cruise control and used the small duel booster. Does the cruise control have something to do with which booster was used?

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I believe all 86' Monte's have the single diaphragm booster, for whatever reason, they also don't seem to ever have cowl tags that earlier and later years got. Couple weird anomoly's.

I dont' think g-bodies received the 605 style box after the early 80's, even the base stripped down models, at least that I've noticed.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
For whatever it’s worth I upgraded to a dual diaphragm booster from a early 90’s B body Cadillac and along with the blazer brake swap it made a difference with much better pedal feel. It’s a well-documented upgrade and if memory serves me I had to grab the push rod from the B body due to slightly different lengths.

Reactions: 1 user

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
Thanks for the info regarding putting the aluminum master on the single booster. Is the correct aluminum master still available? I went to the parts store and they list both diaphragm boosters for our car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor