Brake Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I tried pressure bleeding the brakes yesterday. The backs bleed no problems but when I tried the front passenger I got nothing coming out of the bleeder or the caliper with the bleeder removed, I didn't bother trying the other side. I have a new 24 mm Chrysler manual MC, new flex lines and new reman B52 conventional calipers. The brakes lines are cunifer installed about 5 years ago. With the pump method the front calipers bled so with the 10 lbs pressure I can't think of why the calipers will not bleed.....any ideas?..... :popcorn:

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Try the pump method again Steve and see if that works.
Guy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Try the pump method again Steve and see if that works.
Guy

The instructions for our MC says 10lbs say is the max, I went up to 15 but the caps leaked just as the instructions wandered. Why do you think trying it again would make it work, are you thinking it be when you set it up the master isn't complete filled?

with my previous calipers, previous 24 mm cast iron MC and old flex lines the calipers would not gravity bleed, I didn't have the pressure bleeder back then

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
The instructions for our MC says 10lbs say is the max, I went up to 15 but the caps leaked just as the instructions wandered. Why do you think trying it again would make it work, are you thinking it be when you set it up the master isn't complete filled?

with my previous calipers, previous 24 mm cast iron MC and old flex lines the calipers would not gravity bleed, I didn't have the pressure bleeder back then

Just throwing out the only thing I could think of Steve.
Did you bench bleed the new MC before you installed it ??
I have helped my buddy Mark at the shop bleed brakes many times.
Sometimes he will open the bleeders and just leave them until they start to drip on their own.
Other than that,he always does it the pump method,starting at the brake the farthest from the MC,and working to the closest.
And I'm sure that I dont need to mention to keep the MC full while doing this.
Besides that,I got nothing else...
Guy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The master was bench bled and that worked fine, I bled the last metric calipers with the speed bleeders but the SAE speed bleeders for these calipers are not in the stores around here. I start with the furthest wheel and work my way to the closest. I have not come close to emptying the MC when bleeding. The nice thing with this Motive is you put up to 2 quarts in the container so no chance of running out of fluid in the MC. I'll try it again later.....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Just throwing out the only thing I could think of Steve.
Did you bench bleed the new MC before you installed it ??
I have helped my buddy Mark at the shop bleed brakes many times.
Sometimes he will open the bleeders and just leave them until they start to drip on their own.
Other than that,he always does it the pump method,starting at the brake the farthest from the MC,and working to the closest.
And I'm sure that I dont need to mention to keep the MC full while doing this.
Besides that,I got nothing else...
Guy

I tried the pressure bleeder and still nothing at each caliper so I used the hybrid method, I left the pressure bleeder at 10 lbs and pumped the brakes with a tube from the bleeder to a bottle and pumped the brakes til the hose was completely filled with brake fluid. It was nice with the Motive bottle being able to put enough brake fluid so I didn't run the brake reservoir dry. Brakes feel alot better and I'll test them out tomorrow. BBQ and beer time now... :friday:

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I tried the pressure bleeder and still nothing at each caliper so I used the hybrid method, I left the pressure bleeder at 10 lbs and pumped the brakes with a tube from the bleeder to a bottle and pumped the brakes til the hose was completely filled with brake fluid. It was nice with the Motive bottle being able to put enough brake fluid so I didn't run the brake reservoir dry. Brakes feel alot better and I'll test them out tomorrow. BBQ and beer time now... :friday:

I sure hope that you got it fixed this time !!!
Guy

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
In addition to the motive pressure pump set up I was using , I had to use my mighty vac vacuum pump to help pull the fluid through the new brake lines in order to successfully bleed mine when I did mine.
You may wanna give it a try.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
In addition to the motive pressure pump set up I was using , I had to use my mighty vac vacuum pump to help pull the fluid through the new brake lines in order to successfully bleed mine when I did mine.
You may wanna give it a try.
Doesn't that and all this defeat the purpose of using a pressure bleeder?!?! I have one; never worked worth a crap with the clamp-on lids/worked ok with screw-on lids. The seals dried out, now it sits in the cabinet. Don't miss it at all.
Vacuum hand pump to prime, bong bottle hung above the brake piston, send it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor