brake fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbaby

n00b
Feb 12, 2017
ok Brake experts, help me out, 1980 Malibu , while driving I can hit the brakes and pedal will go down halfway with ease then the pedal gets rock hard and can not push pedal any further , but can not get the car to stop fast not even lock up any brake front or back. what the heck is it. bled brakes front and rear but no change. PO put new calipers , rotors, brake lines , brake shoes, wheel cylinders . can not confirm master or booster is new but look new lol.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I posted an answer in your other thread

Master Cylinder??

The piston seals in the master cylinder can be damaged by pressure bleeding the brakes. This happens on a neglected hydraulic brake system with an old master. The master cylinder bore forms a ridge(usually corrosion and dirt) at the end of the piston travel through normal use. When you pressure bleed an old master the cylinder seals now pass past the ridge and suffer damage which leads to internal leaks immediately or soon after.
I just gravity bleed my brakes, park the front of the car up and just let the fluid flow until it's clear.
Because I'm anal about brake maintenance I renew the fluid every two or three years on my new cars(ABS brake systems repairs are costly)
I hope I'm not repeating what has been posted elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor