brake light switch upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Hey gents. So I have a 1984 buick regal which usually comes with a 2 wire brake light switch. Interestingly enough my regal has the 3 wire switch which came in the 1986 regal with the 307 motor. So it was upgraded at some point obviously
This is the one i have
5150E159-3339-4220-9864-C75BC83ECF41.png

Well needless to say that one sucks. Its bad already. I took it apart and the design itself is crap. The cheap plastic plunger that drives the contacts apart is no longer working right

Question is is there a more modern upgrade to this style switch anyone knows of that isnt so flimsy?

Thanks in advance as always

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
two wire is for without the 3d brake light, the 3rd wire is blue and is for the 3rd brake light

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
87 Cutlass brake light switch should be the same. Mine has two different pigtails, the front one with 3 wires, the back with 2. I hooked the back switch to my trans converter lockup stuff for the 4L80E trans, but you won't need that part.
Any junkyards near you with G bodies in stock? Also, a popular swap is a brake light switch from a 4th gen Camaro so 92-02.

Reactions: 1 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
87 Cutlass brake light switch should be the same. Mine has two different pigtails, the front one with 3 wires, the back with 2. I hooked the back switch to my trans converter lockup stuff for the 4L80E trans, but you won't need that part.
Any junkyards near you with G bodies in stock? Also, a popular swap is a brake light switch from a 4th gen Camaro so 92-02.
That i will try. Thanks

No, zero gbodies in all of south florida junkyards. In the last two years i have found two and they were picked clean in a week. I periodically check but no luck

I may get lucky with the 4th gen camaro though. Thanks for the advice

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the third brake light
Just curious if you have a rear defrost and if so does the grid go around the third brake light?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes and yes
Are you sure you have a 84' it seems like an awful lot of work to change a back window with defrost and add a third brakelight along with the actual brake light switch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Are you sure you have a 84' it seems like an awful lot of work to change a back window with defrost and add a third brakelight along with the actual brake light switch.
So i just decoded my vin and unless car was stolen and retagged the vin 10th digit is an “E” for 84
Maybe at some point they did change glass and harness? Or vin was swapped and car was stolen at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor