Brake lights not properly working

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 Cuttlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2012
The brake lights turn on when I press the brake pedal. When the headlights are activated, the brake lights don't work, unless of coarse, I press on the brake pedal. To add to the problem, the speedometer lights don't light up. I've checked some fuses, and although they were in good condition, I went ahead and replaced them. Any ideas what could be the cause?

Also, there is a green wire that somehow became disconnected. See the picture below. I think it was once attached to the orange area depicted in the below picture where the orange discoloration has formed. Is this a wire for ground?

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 399

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
1988 Cuttlass said:
The brake lights turn on when I press the brake pedal. When the headlights are activated, the brake lights don't work, unless of coarse, I press on the brake pedal. To add to the problem, the speedometer lights don't light up. I've checked some fuses, and although they were in good condition, I went ahead and replaced them. Any ideas what could be the cause?

Also, there is a green wire that somehow became disconnected. See the picture below. I think it was once attached to the orange area depicted in the below picture where the orange discoloration has formed. Is this a wire for ground?
Looks like battery acid ate up one of your horns the green wire is the horn wire. The loose connector used to be hooked to it. Any body else got any ideas.
I don't quite understand your question about the brake lights.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
so your saying your running lights dont work? it might be the bulbs. the bulbs have 2 filaments and running filamnet might have burnt out but the stop filaments may still be ok, which is back-asswards, but its not too hard to check.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
on the left side of the fuse box you'll find the harness that runs to the rear. Look for a light brown wire, I think it's the 3rd wire from the bottom, and see if it is connected. It's an aluminum wire and it's known to corrode. If it is still attached check to see if it has current at that location. If it does have current then the problem is somewhere leading to the back. If someone has spliced into the wires at the rear for a trailer hitch you might want to check there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor