Status
Not open for further replies.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
IMG_20190922_160802.jpg

I bought a rebuilt 8.5" 3.73 locking diff a while back. It was part of an abandoned project. The guy had installed disk brake brackets on the front of the axle, really well done, the caliper and disk mount really well, looks A1. I have seen 98% of the projects I check online have the disk brake conversion set on the rear of the axle. Why, for fitment? I am a afraid the caliper may it the frame... I checked the part number, and the calipers are from a late 90s Camaro.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Calipers on the front hit the frame as the suspension shifts up. The bolt-on LS1 Camaro backing plates can be swapped so the calipers end up at the 'back' of the axle. If this is a different disc setup that is welded on, you will have some re-engineering to do....

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
How much of the original brake brackets remain? I wonder if you can cut and reweld the brackets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
How much of the original brake brackets remain? I wonder if you can cut and reweld the brackets.
The old brackets will be difficult to salvage. I'll just use the current brackets as a template to fabricate new ones, and weld them at 180 degrees :)

Last edited:

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Calipers on the front hit the frame as the suspension shifts up. The bolt-on LS1 Camaro backing plates can be swapped so the calipers end up at the 'back' of the axle. If this is a different disc setup that is welded on, you will have some re-engineering to do....
Yeah, I have seen just one setup with the calipers located fore, and it looked tight...

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You'll be fubar'd with the brackets in front. Plan on some fabrication or headaches - you choose.

Reactions: 2 users

Steveshow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2015
I used the LS Camaro brackets, which mount the calipers to the rear, as I could see that there would be a space issue if I tried to mount the calipers toward the front. Are the brackets actually welded on? If not, you coul swap them side to side. If welded, you might be able to ge tthem off without ruining them, but I would rather sacrfice them than risk gouging into the axle tube with a torch, then as you mentioned, use them as a partial pattern after removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor