Brake proportioning valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Im trying to find the right valve for my 79 Malibu wagon /power brakes/ front disc/ rear drum.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760185/overview/
This one above looks right and says it fits the application but says disc front /disc rear in description. which is kinda not likely being it shows it fits a lotta older cars that never came with 4 wheel disc.

This one below says its for disc/ drum but shows it only fits F-bodys.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760186/overview/

Anyone use either of these?
Mine seems to be working fine but it's the original cast iron one and the plastic plug on top for the brake light is broke.
Rather be safe than sorry..

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Ebay proportioning (combination) valve looks like a good deal. I think the one I posted from Amazon mentioned "brass finish", which to me means not brass, but brass plated. Just my observation.
I certainly could use to replace my original cast iron piece. I think the relief valve is stuck as well.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well I received my valve Today and it is the MBM PV2 that is in pontiacgp's listing and it looks very nice for the price and is all brass.

Reactions: 1 user

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the info. Looks like a great deal at 38.50 too.
Amazing how much the price is different on these things at various places.
I'll have to order one too.
LMk how it works on the regal

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think $38.50 is a great deal, since I am replacing everything else in the brake system including all the brake lines I figured why do I want to mess with trying to remove 30 year old brake lines out of a 30 year old proportioning valve when there are 5 different lines that meet there.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think those lines would be a bear to remove. A while back I tried removing them in preparation to replacing the combo valve. One line was stuck solid. I suppose I would be able to loosen it with some heat applied, but maybe I'd be better off just replacing the lines along with the valve. After all, they're over 30 yrs old.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I changed just about everything in my brake system but the proportion valve. new ss hard lines and braided lines, new mc, new wheel cylinders and hardware. Didnt do the front calipers but they seemed fine. My son's gonna be driving the car so I want the thing to be safe as possible.
@ Jack, I bought all the prebent ss lines from inline tube. was a pia to get them in with the body on frame. But they are exact dupe of the factory lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor