Brake up grade options guys, having trouble getting stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavoy1

n00b
Jul 14, 2014
hey guys im new here let me explain my issue. i recently bought a 78 chevy malibu roller to convert into a street strip daily driver toy. here is what i know the front brakes are hawk hps pads for a 78 malibu, the rotors are cross drilled and slotted. the calipers are oem. the master cylinder is of unknown origin but it is converted to manual using a s10 manual brake plate on the fire wall. the rear end is a 69 chevelle 12 bolt with 9.5 inch drums. ok here is my issue the car is trapping around 143mph in the 1/4 and it uses all my strength to get stopped in time for the last return road. also the pedal is very spongy even though we bled and bled and even vacuum pumped them. i cant afford anything ridiculous im not wealthy so looking for affordable upgrades. i found this option for the rear http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-71-72- ... 0561539107 but dont know what to do for the master cyl or front brakes. please help guys its getting to the point im clenching my cheeks after a pass and im second in points for the season so far and dont wanna miss any races due to being un able to stop safely. thanks.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Re: Brake up grade options guys, having trouble getting stop

Welcome to the site. There are many many threads and posts on this site and other G body sites regarding brake upgrades. I'm sure that if you were to do a search either here, or on some of the other sites (MalibuRacing.com MonteCarloSS.com GBody Central.com, or any of the turbo Buick sites), you should be able to find more than enough info to give you options for your situation. Hope this helps. Good luck.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I'd get rid of the cross drilled rotors cause there is no gas buildup in pads these days and the holes only reduce the surface contact reducing the effectiveness of the braking. I would also switch the pads to yellow EBC pads. Also without knowing the size of the bore in the master can't say if that is the correct one to use for manual brakes

lavoy1

n00b
Jul 14, 2014

pontiacgp said:
I'd get rid of the cross drilled rotors cause there is no gas buildup in pads these days and the holes only reduce the surface contact reducing the effectiveness of the braking. I would also switch the pads to yellow EBC pads. Also without knowing the size of the bore in the master can't say if that is the correct one to use for manual brakes
how can i get you the info you need on the bore? i see no numbers on it. would a pic help?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

picture would not help, different bores come in the same housing. Only way for you to find out is to take the mater apart and measure. Personally I would go with a master that you know is the one you want. Masters are not that expensive.

lavoy1

n00b
Jul 14, 2014

pontiacgp said:
picture would not help, different bores come in the same housing. Only way for you to find out is to take the mater apart and measure. Personally I would go with a master that you know is the one you want. Masters are not that expensive.
knowing what you know about my set up what master should i go order? keep in mind i am looking at this kit for the rear http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-71-72- ... 0561539107

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor