EL CAMINO Brake upgrade question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotrodder383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2019
So I have been planning on a brake upgrade, both front and back. The back is actually fairly easy choice of wilwood disc converstaion. My question comes with the front, what to go with, Blazer upgrade, C4 upgrade or aftermarket.
I have a 350 making about 400 HP will be a t60 tarns (6 speed double OD) with 16" wheels. this will not be an autocross car, nor a dragstrip warrior. Simply a hot street play toy, but if you can go fast you better be able to stop fast. Which leads me to my concern, is the Blazer upgrade good enough? I am not buying bigger wheels, so whatever I go with has to fit the 16"s. I was thinking Blazer twin piston with good pads and wagner rotors. But I am worried it is not enough.
What are your thoughts? And yes, speeds will be up to 100mph, the speed limit around here is 70 mph but I drive some in other states of 80mph

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Bang for the buck the LS1 upgrade is hard to beat, I just got a set of V1 CTS-V fronts for my blazer project and to be honest they were really cheap for brand new to me

Reactions: 3 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I have the Blazer fronts and enjoy them, but here’s my problem and one you should consider:
Brake bias.
Make sure your brake bias doesn’t end up lopsided.

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
S10 front spindles w/dual piston calipers and 2002 Camaro rear disk. Easy bolt on for both. Many U-Tube videos on what to get and how to do it. Get the full disk aftermarket brake proportioning valve. Best part is that all the expendable stuff like pads, rotors, seals etc are available even at your local party store! I replaced the rotors, pads and front backing plates. Rebuilt all 4 calipers and sprayed them to look like new. The rusty picture is what I removed from the 2 wheel S10. DO NOT use from the 4 wheel drive model.
Final Assy (1).jpg
IMG_20180616_143533871.jpg
IMG_20180615_160210815.jpg
S10 (2000) Data.jpg

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Bang for the buck the LS1 upgrade is hard to beat, I just got a set of V1 CTS-V fronts for my blazer project and to be honest they were really cheap for brand new to me
Check out bigbrakeupgrade.com
They may not have anything that fits in that short of a wheel though

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Check out bigbrakeupgrade.com
They may not have anything that fits in that short of a wheel though
Yeah I did check with him he said he didn't have anything, I had originally got a pair of ATS Brembo's to mount but nobody had anything to just bolt on and work with it. I want it to be a quick upgrade so had to swap over to the CTS V1 setup so when I get to do it will be done in very short time since there is so much else to do

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
S10 front spindles w/dual piston calipers and 2002 Camaro rear disk. Easy bolt on for both. Many U-Tube videos on what to get and how to do it. Get the full disk aftermarket brake proportioning valve. Best part is that all the expendable stuff like pads, rotors, seals etc are available even at your local party store! I replaced the rotors, pads and front backing plates. Rebuilt all 4 calipers and sprayed them to look like new. The rusty picture is what I removed from the 2 wheel S10. DO NOT use from the 4 wheel drive model.

what did you do to set up the parking brake

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
A home made system using the factory cables from the Camaro due to its ends. Original cable bracket cut and bent to fit using the drv seatbelt bolt as the attaching point. Work great. the cables ends are from all star performance. Have to use the brackets to move the shocks out at the bottom they will hit the calipers and won't bolt into place. I used a tube spacer cut to size to install the yellow bounce pads that are from a GMC Pickup. Th e-brake holder is from the camaro system that I cut to fit the SS housing and it bolts to the original bounce slot thru the tubing holding the yellow bounce cup all in place. It worked out perfect as to fit and functions to prevent the calipers from hitting the frame. Also the e-brake cables have to be secured to the tunnel with clamps or they will hit the drive shaft. I cut everything, put in place and tehn tookk out to paint and detail, then final install.
IMG_20180809_172140578.jpg
IMG_20180809_172213818.jpg
IMG_20180809_172122856.jpg
at.

Attachments

• 2002CamaroConversion (5).jpg
    2002CamaroConversion (5).jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 207
  • EBrake Brckt (3).jpg
    EBrake Brckt (3).jpg
    705 KB · Views: 228
  • EBrake Brckt (4).jpg
    EBrake Brckt (4).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
  • EBrake Brckt (8).jpg
    EBrake Brckt (8).jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Differential Cushion (9).jpg
    Differential Cushion (9).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor