Brakes... options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patobusta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2017
Hi.. I'm in the process of swaping an ls to my 81 Monte, and yes.. it will be fast but I'm not sure the brakes will be up to the newly acquired speed and power..

Reading here I was about to pull the trigger on a blazer brake swap.. but I think I might be interested in some flashy fancy stuff sooner or later...

From you guys have done... do you think a stock blazer brake is up to the task? Or instead of going blazer and then vette calipers/rotors it might be better to go with what willwood offers for the g body right away?

Any (dis)advantages of going either way?

Not thinking on track use, autocross or anything competitive just some spirited driving once in a while and I have always considered good brakes as insurance..

What do you think?
Thanks

Jdigitty88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
I just installed the 6 piston Wilwood set up on stock spindles. I can't speak on performance I still haven't bedded in the pads, but when i was looking at my options it was only 1-2 hundred off so i just sprung for it, and my 17's clear.

Not really what you asked but my .02

Patobusta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2017
Might not have being the exact question but that was the same math I was doing...

Any dowside of using stock spindle and bearing instead of the newer hub style blazer brake? Wilwood does not offer any kit for the blazer that might have being an option, leaving the vette option as the only upgrade performance/looks wise than I'm aware...

I don't want to be vain.. but even knowing that most cars use two pistons (my daily does) there something about those huge 6 piston calipers (vette and wilwood) that really look good in our cars...

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I run blazer fronts, LS1 rears. They clear the stock alum 15" wheel and stop the car as well as wifeys 03 Impala. The stock brakes were poor when new. Blazer fronts and ls1 rears just plain work and are not too hard on the wallet

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The other benefit to Blazer brakes is that if you want even larger rotors and calipers, it's literally a 10 minute job, unbolt the old stuff, bolt new, bigger stuff in it's place. You can go all the way up to 15" ROTORS and 6 piston calipers just by bolting them onto the Blazer spindles. Going to cost you a lot for the parts and wheels to fit them but the upgrade is simple. My vote is obvious :)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Stolen from the El Camino Central forums, 5th Gen Must do's..... 82'-86 S10 rear wheel cylinders. upsize from 3/4" to 7/8" $6 each from Rock Auto P/N WC110261

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 265
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Stolen from the El Camino Central forums, 5th Gen Must do's..... 82'-86 S10 rear wheel cylinders. upsize from 3/4" to 7/8" $6 each from Rock Auto P/N WC110261

the larger piston wheel cylinders are from the manual brake S 10s

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
the larger piston wheel cylinders are from the manual brake S 10s
Yes that is Correct. I have not tried this yet, but I am trusting it is a good upgrade. My Cutlass is just going to be a drag car, but if this works nice, i will put the other pair on my ElCo 83SS

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if i could do it again i'd go the blazer route,the parts are available anywhere-time.gm's done all the r&d, you know it bolts in & works.the sealed bearings are an upgrade in itself.the wilwood's on the exotic side which comes with an exotic price tag for replacement/start up costs. where you're Not thinking on track use, autocross or anything you don't NEED the fancy hardware.i had an early willwood set up and between the spindle mods and the increased track width (3/4 per side!!!),had different lug nut sizes on either end of the car, i said uncle.i vote the blazer route,spend some money on some nice pads and decent rotors, and still have a bunch of dough left over.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yes that is Correct. I have not tried this yet, but I am trusting it is a good upgrade. My Cutlass is just going to be a drag car, but if this works nice, i will put the other pair on my ElCo 83SS

these are a nice addition to keep the wheel cylinder from moving to give you more rear braking..

s-l640.jpg

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor