Brakes shutting car down

Status
Not open for further replies.

87mcls305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2014
Hey guys I got a problem.... When I apply any pressure to the brake pedal the car will immediately shut off... I have already changed the brake booster(2 times cuz the first one was used and I didn't trust it... so I bought a new 1)... I believe I have a electrical short or maybe a bad ground... has any had a issue similar.... any help is appreciated this is killing me thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sounds like a vacuum issue. Check the vac line for the booster, check valve & grommit, carb base & gasket. Then check all the vac lines if that all is OK.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

87mcls305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2014
Thanks ya I checked all the vacuum lines... the car would bog down once I pulled the hose from the booster but would still die when I press brakes I tried bypassing the filter.... how do I check with a vacuum gauge???

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
When you lightly touch the brakes, just enough to make the brake lights come on, does it stall?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
try unplugging the harness on the brake light switch and see if the engine still stalls. Do you have a lock up converter

Reactions: 1 user

87mcls305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2014
Ok... no I don't have a lock up converter... but I removed the CPU a long time ago

87mcls305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2014
Yes I had a Clifford alarm but I removed it myself... I removed it a couple years ago... and haven't had any issues like this until now

87mcls305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2014
try unplugging the harness on the brake light switch and see if the engine still stalls. Do you have a lock up converter

That's a great idea i will try Tommorow morning and let u guys know the results

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor