BROADCAST / BUILD SHEET CLARIFICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
If you own a G body car, these little piece of documentation adds great understanding, knowledge and value to your prized ride. It can clarify any doubt what your car came equipped with from the factory, and in most cases, what factory built it and to whom the car went to as far as dealership to be sold. Its just a treasure trove of invaluable information, and if you have or found yours, consider yourself LUCKY!
I love GM, but they were never consistent with anything. The broadcast/build sheets they used for example were an array of different designs, and it was truly dependent on the year and the factory it was built in. So you could literally have the same vehicle, same year, made in two different factories and have two completely different styles of broadcast/build sheets. And as far as locations, it was a joke! It was at the discretion of the person sticking it in the car on the assembly line in the plant, Here are just a few of the places they stuck the broadcast/build sheets to our beloved G body vehicles; In the door panels, under the drivers seat, under the front passengers seat, under the rear seat (bottom) under the rear seat (top/back), under the headliner, under the hood insulation, on top of the fuel tank. The worst of the broadcast/build sheets are the ones found under the fuel tank, exposed to the elements along with the ones placed under the hood insulation. Its just another example how the assembly workers either didn't care or never in-visioned that one day our prized G bodies cars would be of value and owners would be dependent on these vital pieces of documentation. If you have found yours and you can read most of it, consider your self BLESSED!
If you have a picture of yours, post it up for fun, lets see how good OR bad they can really get!

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You go first.

Broadcast sheets aren't much of anything. Build sheets are way more informative. But first you would have to dig into your car to find them. I only did that with my gray 85 442 and found the build sheet under the carpet half glued to the floor with sealer, and a broadcast sheet for mine and another car's behind the driver back seat panel. The 84 H/O was built in Lansing, and the Lansing plant was usually very stingy about putting anything paper in the car. Maybe they had a better cleaning crew. The only reference I found was "Hurst" written in red marking pencil on top of the shiny part of gas tank hidden under years of dirt. The 85 (Arlington plant) and 87 (Pontiac plant) 442's have never been apart and I've never looked for any of that stuff. I got the window stickers for them and never needed to.

Reactions: 1 user

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
This is the one for my 1981 pace car I will take a better picture now that it is in a frame mine was in the upper seat top of the rear seat

Attachments

• 0FFAEAB5-65C9-460E-8C05-2464CABA75A2.jpeg
    0FFAEAB5-65C9-460E-8C05-2464CABA75A2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's the gray 85's build sheet-
Gray 85 442 build sheet 340286.jpg

The repro window sticker (way better than those commercial dealies) -
Gray 85 442 window sticker.jpg

The repro SPID prototype being worked on/original SPID-
gray85442spid.jpg

gray85442SPID1.jpg

And the car itself- only car I ever listed and sold on fleabay-
Gray 85 442.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Worth noting, and I never noticed it before on this particular car, is that there are SOME 85 442s out there that although they didn't specifically list the VK3 RPO on the SPID or build sheet, that they still had the front plate holder attached to the car anyway. Build sheets aren't always exact. Just look at the engine the build sheet shows for LG8. It should have a Monte Carlo engine in it. Strange item there.

VIN 9 cars had painted bumpers. GM did not have painted screw hole covers to hide that little "tooth" on the upper bumper fascia. They only had the shiny ones. Thus, they put the VK3 option on all the VIN 9 cars to hide that tooth. 83 and 84 H/Os had the Hurst/Olds tag for up front anyway, but the 442s did not have factory style plates. Mine came with a dealer plate on the black 85 442. Some came with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor