Broken bolt help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I have a bolt broken off in my exhaust manifold flange and it needs to be taken out so I can reinstall my crossover pipe. Id really love to upgrade to headers but dont have the money right now. Not really sure what route I should take to remove it so advice is needed guys and quick. Thanks in advance!!!

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
If the bolt still has part of it sticking out then there are a couple options I use.

1: soak it in PB blaster, Heat up with torch, soak it again w/ PB blaster after cooled off. Grab with vise grips and work it back and forth until it starts to move then slowly turn it out occasionally work it back and forth as you go.

2: find a nut that fits tight over the exposed shaft. Weld nut to broken bolt. Let cool a bit use wrench and work it back und forth until it comes out.

If bolt is flush or subsurface, has to be drilled and tapped for new bolt / stud

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
If you can get a nut welded on it, heat is your friend. Let the nut and stud cool completly, so you can touch it with your bare hand, now put heat on the manifold where the stud screws in, heat it up to a dull red all the way around then use a wrench to work it loose. Sometimes they just wont come out when cold. Exhaust work is frustrating sometimes. In your case if it is not too hard to remove the manifold this work is alot easier on the bench. Good luck.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
If you have to drill it take your time and make sure you center punch it very close to center. Start with a small drill and work up to the correct size bit for that tap size and then tap the threads. We have to do it all the time when working on 100+ year old hit & miss engines. I did it Wednesday night.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I tried welding a nut on and it still didnt break in fact it broke more of the bolt off so ima try drilling it. i cant find my stud extractor either. smh lol. Thanks for the info guys

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you have to drill, use a quality Cobalt bit. Just don't break that off or you are super screwed.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Had to drill it nothing more i could do lol. I think i used an Irwin bit set i have. hopefully i can get a gasket in the am an put it back on tomorrow. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor