Broken exhaust manifold bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
So i am swapping the manifolds off the 403 in favor of long tubes. Well i have gotten all the bolts off except one that snapped almost flush with the head. Long story short i snapped the easy out in the bolt and have reached the limit of my abilities (i probably reached that limit right before i snapped the easy out) and think the only course of action is for someone to weld a nub or something i can get a grip on so i can try to get this bolt out. This seems like a stretch but anyone know of anyone who has mobile welding equipment in my area who can do this kind of thing. I fully expect to pay for the job. Ive tried to drill out the easy out with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Located in Long Island NY. Thanks in advance for the advice and the roasting that is sure to ensue.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
How much easy-out is embedded? You might try a diamond burr in a Dremel. Then drill out the hole until you get to threads. Helicoil if you go too far.

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Drill and tap a new hole next to it, then add a tab to catch the flange. Have a tube of red RTV handy to seal the threads after you drill through the water jacket. That's what I did on the Rusterado, anyways

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Which bolt? On Olds V8's, I find the top center bolt usually snaps. Those aren't necessary to install leak free headers.

Reactions: 1 users

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
How much easy-out is embedded? You might try a diamond burr in a Dremel. Then drill out the hole until you get to threads. Helicoil if you go too far.
I'd say about an 1/8 of an inch of easy out has made a home in the bolt. looks like there is about a half inch of bolt still in there but if it is anything like the same bolt on the other side (which luckily snapped off with some of the bolt still hanging out so i was able to get it off) it had rust all the way to the back of the bolt. I was reading about carbide burrs, would that be a better choice over the diamond? I ask cause i only want to do this once.

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
Which bolt? On Olds V8's, I find the top center bolt usually snaps. Those aren't necessary to install leak free headers.
Thats the exact bolt. Its the one that sits ABOVE the middle two exhaust ports. I was able to get the one out on the one side but this one is really fighting me. Is it really not necessary for the long tubes im putting on? That would be great and save me another trip to home cheapo.

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
Drill and tap a new hole next to it, then add a tab to catch the flange. Have a tube of red RTV handy to seal the threads after you drill through the water jacket. That's what I did on the Rusterado, anyways
That sounds like it would work but is out of my comfort zone for my abilities. My luck there would be a set of 350 rocket heads in my future after that lol.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Carbide will probably work. Has to be able to cut into the hardened EZ out steel. Once it is removed, the rest of the bolt can be drilled with a normal bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor