Broken pinion bolt + extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
A guy I know had the dreaded pinion bolt break off in the ring gear carrier. He tried the extractor kit and managed to break the extractor off too. I told him he is pretty much skewered. I suggested smashing the pinion shaft out with a BFH and a drift. He is timid about that. Then someone else suggested a Dremel tool and a carbide bit to get the hardened extractor out. He said to ask a dentist for old bits they didn't need. Does that make sense?

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
The only times over broken extractors off, is when I was being timid about drilling the hole and used too small of an extractor.

Can you get vise grips on the extractors and try to twist it back out?

I've had luck also lightly tapping on the material near the bolt that broke off and breaking the extractor free while turning at the same time as tapping. (tapping, not beating)

If you can get it back out, maybe try to drill a little bigger and get a bigger extractor in there. 🤷🏼‍♂️

YMMV

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, see, that happened to HooptieWagon on Drag Week. Try fixing it with limited tools! We ended up welding a piece of coat hanger to the broken end (1/4" down in the hole) with jumper cables and a battery.
So, to put that in shop terms: put the business end of a stick welder in the hole on the bolt, then tap the ground to the housing until it sticks. They're usually not that tight, so you should be able to spin the welding rod out with the bolt remains by hand.

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is a pic of the damage. I'm surprised there are enough threads to keep it in there.
1623514050993.png

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Vise grips are not an option there...

Try the welding rod trick as mentioned above.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
And here is what he said: "It took a small air grinder with a carbide burr bit dug right into the shaft and severed the bolt. Once I punched out the shaft, I use a magnet to get remainder of pin out of the hole." Nice work. I would not have thought of that.
1623687709427.png

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I tried the extractor, it helped but after breaking a bit deep into the process drilled/cutinto the cross bolt shaft. Messy and had to have a steady hand but got it to go. I wouldn’t trust smashing the rear end to break it off but heard of that method.

Attachments

• 5A1E50A7-AF38-439C-87EB-BB65C066E647.jpeg
    5A1E50A7-AF38-439C-87EB-BB65C066E647.jpeg
    934.3 KB · Views: 92

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Good idea if it was a hopeless situation otherwise. I've been lucky. Even with them broken, for me they've always had a thread or two left on the end. I have a pencil magnet that can slide into the hole and I can use my other hand to push the cross shaft up a bit to relieve pressure on the pin. Then I have been able to use the pencil magnet to unscrew what is left of the extension part and rescue it. If the threads get boogered up, not sure how well that would work. The key is not to have any side load on what's left of the screw.

I've been lucky enough not to have had to use the welding rod trick, but if I have to, I will. You would think they'd use an internal snap ring or something in the carrier hole. Be a lot easier IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor