Broken rear window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelittlecutlassthatcould

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2020
So the rear glass in my 87 cutty was smashed recently in a storm and now must be replaced, ibwas wondering if i have to take the vinyl top off. Im not a fan of it either way but im not sure if i want to dive into re painting if i do remove the vinyl. Help please lol

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Breaking my rule again, but...this seems important.

You may want to leave this to a competent glass shop. It WILL require removing the trim pieces which holds the folded over vinyl trim around the rear window. So they may be able to remove that trim, get the window out, and replace it without too much trouble. I've never worked with a vinyl top before so I don't know. Maybe others can chime in. But if they find rust and stuff that doesn't belong under there....yeesh.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you have theft and fire insurance on your car then your car is covered for damage from a storm

Reactions: 1 users

Thelittlecutlassthatcould

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2020
Breaking my rule again, but...this seems important.

You may want to leave this to a competent glass shop. It WILL require removing the trim pieces which holds the folded over vinyl trim around the rear window. So they may be able to remove that trim, get the window out, and replace it without too much trouble. I've never worked with a vinyl top before so I don't know. Maybe others can chime in. But if they find rust and stuff that doesn't belong under there....yeesh.
Ill take ot to a shop and see what they say, i just am not too stoked on painting it, for financial reasons

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Remember if you’re car was a vinyl roof from the factory the seams might not be finished. On my 81 Malibu the rear seams were just slathered with seam sealer and the roof was only painted half way.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor