CUTLASS Bucket seat seam/pleat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
From what I understand there should be a defined seam/pleat (not sure what the actual term is) on the front seats where I’ve drawn a blue line. Is this something that a diy’er could repair or best left to an upholstery shop?

5FAF1BA7-4393-49AC-826A-5A09A34A048F.jpeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's a metal rod molded inside the foam bottom where several hog rings in that strip underneath are. They attach that pleat point to the rod. Very often, the foam gets old, dried up, and the rod starts to pull up through the foam. Basically eliminating the deeper pleat. More of a dip. I can tell you this from experience, it is a mf to get that right and it will tear up your hands mucking around with seat covers. If you're not fluent in seat repair, it may be good to take the seat out and take the back off, and carry the bottom in to a good upholstery shop and show them what you need. I'll bet dimes to donuts they could fix that thing in no time. I'd probably ask about putting a new thin layer of foam in between to sort of build up the squished foam to make it more like new. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: 1 user

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
There's a metal rod molded inside the foam bottom where several hog rings in that strip underneath are. They attach that pleat point to the rod. Very often, the foam gets old, dried up, and the rod starts to pull up through the foam. Basically eliminating the deeper pleat. More of a dip. I can tell you this from experience, it is a mf to get that right and it will tear up your hands mucking around with seat covers. If you're not fluent in seat repair, it may be good to take the seat out and take the back off, and carry the bottom in to a good upholstery shop and show them what you need. I'll bet dimes to donuts they could fix that thing in no time. I'd probably ask about putting a new thin layer of foam in between to sort of build up the squished foam to make it more like new. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Thanks for the info!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor