Bucket seats for 79 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootinblanks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2016
Ingleside Ontario
I'm wanting to swap out the bench for buckets. G body seats are hard to come by. Is there a modern day fit that can be picked up readily fro the wreckers? Any experience would be helpful. Consul will follow I'm sure. Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you can pickup a set of G-body bucket seat tracks, you can probably retrofit many different seats like from a later Pontiac Grand Am, Sunbird, Cavalier, etc. Another choice would be F-body seats. They may be the closest fit to a G-body car. Don't underestimate foreign seats. Treat yourself to a junkyard expedition. You'll be surprised at what you might find. You may have to modify the seat tracks in order to fit other types of seats.
Does your car already have the floor mounts to accommodate bucket seats?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

shootinblanks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2016
Ingleside Ontario
If you can pickup a set of G-body bucket seat tracks, you can probably retrofit many different seats like from a later Pontiac Grand Am, Sunbird, Cavalier, etc. Another choice would be F-body seats. They may be the closest fit to a G-body car. Don't underestimate foreign seats. Treat yourself to a junkyard expedition. You'll be surprised at what you might find. You may have to modify the seat tracks in order to fit other types of seats.
Does your car already have the floor mounts to accommodate bucket seats?

Thanks that gives me a place to start. I'm not sure if the mounts are there already? I am a big guy and was thinking something along the lines of a SUV set of seats but not sure if they would fit. A trip to the scrap yard is on the agenda.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
In most cases (at least the vehicles that I've seen), if the car is a factory bench seat car, then it doesn't have the inner seat mounting brackets welded to the floor for bucket seats, nor will it have the console mounts welded to floor. If the car has the factory split bench setup, then it will have the inner seat mounts, but not the console mounts.
As for seats, I found that when I updated the interior on my Monte SS, most bucket seats that were produced by GM from the late '70s to the early 2000s would bolt directly to the factory bucket seat tracks for the '78-'88 A/G body.
Hope this helps.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks that gives me a place to start. I'm not sure if the mounts are there already? I am a big guy and was thinking something along the lines of a SUV set of seats but not sure if they would fit. A trip to the scrap yard is on the agenda.
Be careful using SUV or larger vehicle seats, they may be too wide to fit in a Malibu. All I can is, do your homework and carry a pocket size tape measure with you when you go junkyarding.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Would you be interested in a set of factory bucket seats and factory console? I might be able to pick up a bucket/console Malibu...need to talk to the fellow again as it's been awhile now. I'm in Saskatchewan so shipping may not be too hard/costly.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Calling all Forum members. Does someone have a pair of seats to measure to define the four bolt holes? The outer bench seat tracks can be used with buckets, just need the inner pair, plus the four floor brackets. I've seen the floor brackets repro'd - maybe OPGI?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've seen the inner brackets on ebay.

shootinblanks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2016
Ingleside Ontario
Would you be interested in a set of factory bucket seats and factory console? I might be able to pick up a bucket/console Malibu...need to talk to the fellow again as it's been awhile now. I'm in Saskatchewan so shipping may not be too hard/costly.

Thanks for the offer.....After much reflection on the scope of this upgrade I think I will change direction and not go over to buckets. I did not consider the change of not just the front seats but the back seats to match, consul, shifter and column. I think I will look for a bucket seat, floor shift car instead. No big hurray and the hunt is better than the kill sometimes.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Thanks for the offer.....After much reflection on the scope of this upgrade I think I will change direction and not go over to buckets. I did not consider the change of not just the front seats but the back seats to match, consul, shifter and column. I think I will look for a bucket seat, floor shift car instead. No big hurray and the hunt is better than the kill sometimes.

It can be a little bit of work...but not terrible. I was actually going to mention the other things associated with the swap yesterday maybe I should have. One thing to consider is that if I can pick up this car I'd have everything you'd need. Whether seats are right color or not is another thing....console can be painted pretty easy. Choice is yours of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor