Bucket seats in a wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I have an 80 Malibu wagon. Doing a motor and drive train swap. That turned into also modifying the interior to accept Bucket seats. I'm using the Cutlass type High back buckets( also were in early Camino's). Well they look great but I'm having a little clearance issue with the seat belt attachment point by the "B" pillar. Maybe I didn't weld the mounts 100% centered in the car, I don't know. Wondering if anyone else had similar problems . What did u do? Any pic's would be great.
I looks like I'm gonna have to change the way the seat belt attaches to the floor . If you haven't had this problem it may be hard to picture. Deal with me and Please help.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
One thing you need to consider is the fact that the pillars in an el camino and a 2dr are further back then in a wagon or a 4dr. so the belt attactchment will be closer to the seat then in those cars. what piece is exactly contacting.? is it the piece that bolts to the headrest that guides the belt?
your seat should have been pretty well centered off the two outside seat mounts. all you needed to do was add the inner mounts next to the tunnel

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Pretty much any G-Body, F-Body for that matter, bucket seat(s) will work in any G-Body Wagon. The same cannot be said for the seat tracks/adjusters. Hopefully you didn't weld the floor brackets in place using an F-Body adjuster as the template.

I believe 81msw79 is correct in as much as if you used the two outer bench seat brackets, using a G-Body adjuster/seat track as a template, the seat mounted location should be very close. You could possibly have cocked the seat a little but I can't see you not noticing if they were that far out of square.

Got any photos of what you're talking about? ...

:arrow: :shock: :arrow: :? :arrow: :wink: :arrow:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have Monte Carlo buckets in my car currently, and have no issues regarding seatbelt positioning. I welded the middle seat brackets in basically the same position the factory would have placed them. The belts work fine in relation to the seat positions.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I did use G-body seats and adjusters/ seat sliders. I'm 6'4" and ALWAYS keep my car seats in the most rearward position. Which make my problem worse. And the seat May be cocked just a smidge. But with the seat all the way back the seat belt anchor bolt area is very tight with the seat trim. And these seats are the high back version so they are a little different to the later Monte style buckets. Oh well this won't be the first variation in this quest for G-body customization. I'll have to come up with something. Maybe will post pics tomorrow.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Tim,
If you could take a pic or two, that would help. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
I also adjust the seat back in the most rearward position, and I'm not quite as tall as you are...more like 5' 11"-6'. I still sometimes find it a bit tight. I could only imagine what it's like for you. Besides your height, you're probably a bigger guy.

My seats are the typical Monte Carlo seat with headrests. I removed the seat belt guides, too.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
Today I was wondering if the Highback seats are any wider than the headrest type Monte Carlo style seat. And I can rule that out cuz they both measure the exact same width. I took a couple pic today, and you might get an idea what I'm dealing with. Right now I only have the driver seat in for mock up so I didn't compare how the Pass side fits yet. The pics make the seat look cocked for sure , but it doesn't look that way in person. Nor does it feel twisted in any way. Now let me see if I can pull a picture.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
From my estimation, it appears to be a wider seat than mine. As Scott says, it doesn't look like a G-body or F-body seat. Perhaps an earlier A-body seat?
I can try to take a few pics of the space between my seat bottom and inner rocker panel. Even how your seat belt is anchored is kinda funky. I guess that was done purposely to clear the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor