budget build chevy 350 in '78 monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhorndog

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2011
I just finished running my new engine on the dyno tonight. I built a budget engine for my '78 monte daily driver. I used a vortec 350 put in a comp xr270hr small roller cam. the cylinder heads have stock valves blended short turns and larger springs for the cam and crane 1.6 ratio rocker arms. 10:1 compression, edelbrock performer rpm intake, holley 650cfm vacuum secondaries with electric choke. All in all very streetable, guess how much power! This is a very conservative build on a $1000 budget! I work at an engine rebuild shop so I have everything I need to save on labour cost and parts cost. If you were to buy this engine full price, probably $3000 or more. Lucky me! moment of truth... dyno sheet says 403 hp at 5500rpm, and 411 ft/lbs of torque at 4000rpm. Timing is set at an unbelievable 26 degrees! If only you could see the dyno sheet this thing pulls hard and doesn't quit even past 6000rpm. Should be installed within 2 weeks, waiting for a new clutch.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
That is a lot of power! Congrats. What heads? Is it actually 350 c.i.?

Great carburetor choice - THANK YOU for not putting a 750 or 850 on it (or a 1000)

jwhorndog

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2011
it is actually 355, 4.030. next we want to build a similar engine but with bigger valves and a bigger cam maybe an open plenum manifold and 750cfm holley and 10.5:1. looking to make 450hp or so. still gonna make budget builds it's almost more fun than big dollar builds. these vortec heads are like fast burns, less timing worked better!

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
cool. The Performer RPM is what I run, it is a great intake and has less loss at high RPMs than most dual planes.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks like a well thought-out package. You stayed conservative and it really payed off. Should be a really fun street engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor