budget build vs big build

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppers

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2017
was talking about the old days with my buddy from childhood. we both got into cars about the same time. while i went to school for automotive he did backyard work. we always had fun just throwing combos together and hitting the track to see what we did.
one of the big differences was i had a shop available to me at school so either doing the work or having a fellow student do it to clean up a block and assemble the engine was cheap for me. he would usually buy swap meet or junkyard engines and leave the rotating assembly.
so now 20 years later Ive been out of the industry a while and most of my tools went along the way to pay for kids and a house. he still builds his engines the way he used to and has some hits and some misses.

ill be doing a full drivetrain for my malibu. at the same time I'm renovating my house. so I'm leaning to keeping an eye on craigslist or junkyard for a complete big block, and then put some of my touches to it. seems odd not stripping and going from scratch.
how do some of you guys like to do your engines? some pros and cons i may have missed in the years absent from the craft.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Depends on your skill level and tools.

If you have most of the basics, pull a 1996-99 Vortec 350 from a salvage($250-300). Pop it apart for fresh rings, bearings, and gaskets. Add an oil pump and a cam (LT4 Hot Cam works great $180). Reuse the roller lifters. Grab a new HEI distributor. Buy a new or used vortec carb intake. You will also need an electric fuel pump. Use Flowtech F11104 long tube headers.

If you want to go big block, I totally get it. Same thing 98-2000 454 Vortec ($250 from a pullapart, 600 on Craigslist). Add a 270 HR cam from Comp. Reuse the roller lifters. It should have vortec 7400 heads that will be close to 9-1 compression. Add an oval port intake. It will need rings, bearings, oil pump and gaskets as well. 2455 Hooker headers with some dents. Score some fans from a Dodge Intrepid. CC162 aluminum radiator.

Pick a trans. Buy a G-force crossmember that matches

Pick a carb.

Then save up money for a 9 inch, everything else is a waste. If you NEVER plan to lean on it hard, buy 28 spline axles for a G-body 8.5 and a 28 spline posi unit from a 93-02 F-body.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have never built a new engine/one from scratch. I always use a known good short/long block and build from there; tends to be more cost effective. My favourite thing to do is to optimize the OEM product and uncork the potential before throwing money and parts at it. But, I am weird like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

peppers

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2017
where do you guys find these yards with such cheap engines? i live close to a track and prices for everything are crazy. just found a 454 with 83k still in the truck guy wants $1800 and i have to pull it. i love the nostalgia of a carb but i think in all honesty I'm looking at the edelbrock pro flo 3 xt system.

peppers

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2017
Not that I know of. Lots of yards closed and we're replaced with houses. The 2 I know were pick and pull you now go to the office and tell them what you want and then come back later for it. No more walking the yard

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I redid my engine a couple of years ago. I Bought a rotating assembly from eagle for $650, sbc 350 engine block cleaned and honed for 250. Splurged on some used fast burn heads $650 and a vortec manifold $219.

You can buy a short block for that price. But then still have to buy everything else. I think I did pretty good. I assembled the engine and it's been running like a champ thankfully and it pulls strong.

I was going to do Vortec block but I think I did pretty good with my combo with price and parts.

In summary you can still get some good deals and build a budget engine.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I found my L48 350 on CL, got an *ss load of extras + a folding engine hoist for $400. Even with sending it to the machine shop to looked over & clean up work, picking up some needed parts I'm still a good bit under a grand in cost. Local CL had a fair amount of small block at the time & a killer deal on a 396 that I missed out from my own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor