budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
going for my budget build so here is the question....port and polish heads on my 350 or try and trade or something for vortec heads and intake...which gives you better performance...i have 882 heads on my truck now.jus looking to get more power

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Don't bother doing anything with your current heads. Buy some vortecs. Vortec heads are much superior to the old castings unless you have extensive $$$$$$$ work done to them. And at that point might as well go AFR or something. So ya, vortecs are your best bet. I would try to buy new unless whoever has them for sale will allow you to check them over really well.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
ok cool...i heard the gains over stock heads are like 60 hp...i wish i could afford alum heads but im a broke *ss

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Iron heads are just fine for your application. Aluminum is a waste of money unless you need them. As far as the horsepower, I would not be surprised if you picked up minimum of 25-30 hp. Vortec heads are limited by valve lift though. How big is the cam you are running now. Don't quote me on this but I believe .470 is the max lift of a stock vortec. There are beehive valve springs that require no machine work to run higher lifts but they are expensive or a machine shop can set you up with the work necessary to run a larger cam. Either way is a touch pricey in my eyes.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
CHRIS.O said:
Iron heads are just fine for your application. Aluminum is a waste of money unless you need them. As far as the horsepower, I would not be surprised if you picked up minimum of 25-30 hp. Vortec heads are limited by valve lift though. How big is the cam you are running now. Don't quote me on this but I believe .470 is the max lift of a stock vortec. There are beehive valve springs that require no machine work to run higher lifts but they are expensive or a machine shop can set you up with the work necessary to run a larger cam. Either way is a touch pricey in my eyes.
im running a 420-442 lift cam from lunati...i like what i got jus want a lil more umph

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Cool, with that cam there would be no problems.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
Advertised Duration (Intake/Exhaust) 270/280
Duration @.050" (Intake/Exhaust) 204/214
Gross Valve Lift (Intake/Exhaust) .420"/.443"
Lobe Seperation 112
Intake Center Line 107
RPM Range 1000-5000..........how much hp is this cam adding over a stock cam

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
have alot more mods to come.like i said im lowering it,adding wheels and changin mufflers.cleaning up under the hood i want this thing looking clean lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor