Budget lowering - Am I doing this stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I saw the cheap drop spindle option. Amazon.ca has a set that work out to under $300 CAD to my door. Summit has some that work out to a little more than that. I'm not sure if there's anything cheaper than that without buying a seacan full of them from China. Guys also seem to be pretty horny about the taller lower balljoint, which is something I know nothing about, other than I guess it will help a little with giving you some camber. Do I care? Probably not.

When you cut/use an open ended spring for the rear, are you cutting the top or the bottom? And if so, are you doing anything about the coil bucket/isolator being wrong for a spring like that, or just ramming it in there and not giving a fawk? I could just pull the rear end out of the car and rework the coil buckets to accept a normal open ended configuration, in fact I'm sure I have a set of half made buckets lying around from a Jeep. I don't want to do this though, as I was hoping to do something quick and dirty.

I'm in PG. It's not remote, it's "somewhat remote", in that to drive to the great big bald eagle in the south it will take you a whole day one way. There also isn't much good used stuff around here, population density level is low, poverty level is high.

Edit, also I looked through the first 8 or so pages of your build thread. Very nice. I'll have to read the rest of it when I get a chance.
Dont just cut a 1/2-3/4 coil. Theres a correct way of doing it.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I saw the cheap drop spindle option. Amazon.ca has a set that work out to under $300 CAD to my door. Summit has some that work out to a little more than that. I'm not sure if there's anything cheaper than that without buying a seacan full of them from China. Guys also seem to be pretty horny about the taller lower balljoint, which is something I know nothing about, other than I guess it will help a little with giving you some camber. Do I care? Probably not.

When you cut/use an open ended spring for the rear, are you cutting the top or the bottom? And if so, are you doing anything about the coil bucket/isolator being wrong for a spring like that, or just ramming it in there and not giving a fawk? I could just pull the rear end out of the car and rework the coil buckets to accept a normal open ended configuration, in fact I'm sure I have a set of half made buckets lying around from a Jeep. I don't want to do this though, as I was hoping to do something quick and dirty.

I'm in PG. It's not remote, it's "somewhat remote", in that to drive to the great big bald eagle in the south it will take you a whole day one way. There also isn't much good used stuff around here, population density level is low, poverty level is high.

Edit, also I looked through the first 8 or so pages of your build thread. Very nice. I'll have to read the rest of it when I get a chance.

I got mine off of eBay. They were the cheapest and quickest shipped to the centre of nowhere.

In the rear you do the top and can just jam the open end into the frame pocket. I've been sending cars like that for over 20 years. You can use heater hose if it suits you.

PG?

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
In the rear you do the top and can just jam the open end into the frame pocket. I've been sending cars like that for over 20 years. You can use heater hose if it suits you.
I have done that before and it works fine and I also used heater hose on the upper end.

Reactions: 1 user

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada

PG?
Prince George. The middle of BC, but we call it the Norther Capital, because nobody lives more than 100km from the southern border.

And just to be absolutely clear, because I am something of a 'tard myself, you mean putting the spring in where it is supposed to go normally from the factory? The area I've circled in red in this coilover install picture I found? You're not talking about doing some heathen stuff like ramming the end of the spring into the hole with the arrow, or any other super hack or strangely disturbing operation? You leave the factory isolator on when you do this, or just let 'er buck with some heater hose if you're feeling especially gentlemanly that day?

wtfcoil.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor