Budget rear end Swap HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanjr78

n00b
Mar 6, 2013
Ok i have a 78 cutlass supreme the mods i have done is swap motor with 350 chevy with performance package, also swapped the trani for a 700r and i cant keep the tires stuck to ground with the garbage stock rear end in it!! one whell spins the other kicks for about 50 ft when i put my foot down from a stop. i need a new rear end BAD and i want an easy swap and affordable whats my best bet for my set up??? (and i already looked for the stock turbo buick rear end almost impossible to find!!) I need some tips anything!?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A new rear end isn't going to help you get traction in your Chevy Monte Carlo you built. You need to start with getting some better tires and a posi unit. There are plenty of other things you can do to increase traction but that's where you should start IMO.

seanjr78

n00b
Mar 6, 2013
had the original 5.0 olds in it before i blew it, and had trouble finding replacement or parts to build it up too hard to find hard to find anything for it, had the car for 6 years handed down to me by my dad Good Advice Though :wink:

I also have 275 bfgs in the rear and all i am really wanting is to get the posi traction so both tires will grab, were can i get a kit to change it ?

seanjr78

n00b
Mar 6, 2013
s10 pick up ? what years would work and were would i find? dont have much experiance in rear end work mine has never been touched. bone stock

racing8up

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2010
pre 1998 should be able to get them at about any salvage yard and a good mechanic should be able to set them up for ya !! and yes s10 truck
8)

seanjr78

n00b
Mar 6, 2013
thanks for the help deffinetly set that up asap not any fun if i cant even get put back in my seat off the line!

racing8up

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2010
well that wont change ur traction problem much u might want to get sticker tires and change your pinion angle a bit or put on a set of lift bars !!! 8) 8) 8)

jdietschweiler

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2011
Janesville, Wi
Grandprixpaul said:
I thought the s-10 was 28 spline axles and g-body 7.5 are 26 spline?.

Yes gbodys are 26 spline. I wouldnf waste your money bolting in a s10 posi, the gov-loc will just explode anyways.
Pre 89-90 fbodys had 26 spline and the good factory posi's just watch out for the 9 bolt when looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor