buick 231 swap to buick 300 is it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prostock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2013
Lima,Oh
Im flip flopping here was going to swap my sbc355 in my 87 cutlass but decided to put it in my Impala so after some careful thinking I got back at looking for another engine found a buick 300 for $700 idk if its the aluminum head or cast head or if its complete saw the sign at napa and decided to see if anybody had some good comments for it before I talk to them about the motor not looking to build a race car or nun just give the cutlass more balls is this a direct swap like dropping a buick 350 in can the exhaust manifolds or headers for a buick 350 work is it worth the effort far as getting parts will the 231 motor mounts work or do I have to get era correct mounts ANY help would be appreciated

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
NOT speaking from experience with that engine, but.... I want to tentatively say that it's not worth it. Given that the 300 was produced for only a few years, I'm going to guess that parts availability is limited. I also think, but am not sure, that not many parts interchange with the Buick 350 - but don't hold me to that... I thought I read that somewhere.

The Buick 350 on the other hand was produced from 1968 to 1980. They've got to be more common, with more parts availability - I imagine especially pistons and rings, since the Buick V8 and Olds 307 share the same bore size.

My instinct is to avoid it, unless you're going for "something different" - but that might also lead to more expense.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you were local (Santa Fe), I'd offer a disassembled but stock bore Buick 455. It needs a car to go around it. I also have the correct 441 bellhousing to make it fit an a G-body.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
King_V said:
NOT speaking from experience with that engine, but.... I want to tentatively say that it's not worth it. Given that the 300 was produced for only a few years, I'm going to guess that parts availability is limited. I also think, but am not sure, that not many parts interchange with the Buick 350 - but don't hold me to that... I thought I read that somewhere.

The Buick 350 on the other hand was produced from 1968 to 1980. They've got to be more common, with more parts availability - I imagine especially pistons and rings, since the Buick V8 and Olds 307 share the same bore size.

My instinct is to avoid it, unless you're going for "something different" - but that might also lead to more expense.

X2 Your instinct is right. the 300 is based off of the all aluminum 215. The 300 had the same block in iron with the aluminum heads til '65 and iron heads til '67. The Buick 350 is different from the first small blocks except the 340('66-'67), which had the same crankshaft as the 350.

Prostock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2013
Lima,Oh
Thanks everyone the 300 seemed like a good deal but after reading the reply's it confirmed my suspicions of parts availability and interchangeable parts guess the search goes on a buick 455 was a option but limited funds and little support changed my mind tried finding a buick 350 but had absolutely no luck all the salvage yards in my area keep motors for themselves and dont like to sell motors to ppl that need them smh

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
do a search on ebay for buick 350 engine. there's a place out in arizona i think that sells buick 350s on ebay, some are cores but some are runners, the runners cost a bit more but still cost under 500 still i think. you should be able to get one for 700ish or so after shipping. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Complete-Engine ... 350+engine

231 buick accessories and brackets bolt onto buick 350s.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Does it have to be a Buick engine? Why not an Olds? Hell if you wait until spring you can come up to Cleveland and buy my Olds 350.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Just for giggles I checked truck freight at 2 places (Yellow and ABF) for 87109 to 40245 and it will run about $520 for 600lbs.

Now, if you could find me a GN 8.5 axle, we could work together to drive and meet in the middle somewhere on I40. Obviously not an equal value swap, but the shipping will be about the same.

ssn696

Prostock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2013
Lima,Oh
Doesn't have to be a Buick just wanted one for ease of installation lol and I found 2 olds 350's but one wasnt complete and the other is sketchy as in the guy that had it I know drove it rough smh i've been looking for Pontiac 350's,400,455 chevy's olds and buicks I'm just tired of the 231/200metric and yesterday it took its last breath so I'm open to any swap at this point even a LT1 or LS swap on a budget of course :) and I live in Lima,Oh and they over priced EVERYTHING smh

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Prostock said:
Doesn't have to be a Buick just wanted one for ease of installation lol and I found 2 olds 350's but one wasnt complete and the other is sketchy as in the guy that had it I know drove it rough smh i've been looking for Pontiac 350's,400,455 chevy's olds and buicks I'm just tired of the 231/200metric and yesterday it took its last breath so I'm open to any swap at this point even a LT1 or LS swap on a budget of course :) and I live in Lima,Oh and they over priced EVERYTHING smh

If ease of installation and cost are paramount, go with what fits in without too many changes to your current set up. If you have a 231, the Buick 350 is a no brainer, But with a mount change, the Chevy would be your next choice. If your a purist the Olds comes next with mount, battery, and front harness changes. All else will start bending the pockets.
Have you tried Car-Part.com ? It's a national alliance of used car parts across the country
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Attachments

• car-part.com.jpg
    car-part.com.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 609
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor