Buick 231 to Buick 455 swap info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prostock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2013
Lima,Oh
I have a 87 olds cutlass with a Buick 231 v6/ 200 metric trans, 10 bolt 7.625 rear end just wondering what is all needed can I use the v6 motor mounts and frame mounts, which exhaust works with little to no modifications stock manifolds or headers (shorty,mid, long tube), I have a 400th 4 inch tail 2 drive shafts 1 from my 86 cutlass with a 200-4r and the other from a olds delta 88 that the 400th came out of I know the trans crossmember wont work but I have a welder and im willing to make what I have work any help would be greatly appreciated

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
It will fit, motor mounts should not be too complicated. You might even get lucky and be able to swap out the trans yoke and keep the driveshaft you have.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
I've done the 231 to 350 Buick swap. I've heard that the 455 mounts are in the same location and the lengths are the same. (Length from the mounts to the bell housing surface that is.) Considering that the 231 is nothing but a 350 less two cylinders, that made it an pretty easy swap, but the 455 is just a little wider, a bit taller and definitely longer. So a 350 looks like a big block until you check casting numbers. Buick small and big blocks are like Chevy small and big block in that they don't interchange a lot of parts. So as far as accessory mounting and exhaust, you'd be safer using the original 455 stuff. A good source for info is T/A Performance products. taperformance.com.
Hope this helps.
T

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I was going to do this swap, but decided against it as it was going to cost me a lot of money to do it the way I wanted.
You will need engine mounts and frame mounts for the 455. The 231 v6 and buick 350 are the same. The big block buicks are different.
I have read that the brackets from the 231 might be used on the 455 but don't quote me on that.
I was going to run manifolds since I have a set of '67 manifolds, which are said to be the best flowing. Actually it's the driver's side '67 manifold that flows a little better than later left side manifolds. The right side manifolds were all the same I believe.
I still have all the parts that I had collected for this swap. If you are needing any parts send me a pm and i'll see if I can help you out.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
FYI. They have a section dedicated to the Buick 455 into gbody swap at www.v8buick.com
Good to talk with those who are or have done it.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
dogshit said:
FYI. They have a section dedicated to the Buick 455 into gbody swap at http://www.v8buick.com
Good to talk with those who are or have done it.

Best source of info right there. I have a '70 Buick 455 in my '83 Cutlass. I gathered most of my info from V8Buick for my swap. My car came w/an Olds 403 when I pulled it from Florida. It is a costly swap if you want it done right and to make big numbers. I love the feeling of it though, every time I drive it.

[youtube]vovVFaSZtZg[/youtube]

Prostock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2013
Lima,Oh
Thanks for the replies I checked a few local salvage yards with no luck on finding a buick 455 so I'll just swap the motor out for my 355sbc that I built and get the crossmember from summit racing but again thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor