Buick 3.8 to Chevy 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
I recently swapped in a Chevy 350 to my 84 cutlass and I can't be any happier. Basically this thread is just in case anyone would like to know what I did or has any questions if they plan to do this. Feel free to reply or pm me with any concerns or questions. It's a lot of work but in the end it paid off

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
Write it up! Let's see all the hard work!
Well first off I started with suspension in the spring. I put new front coil springs about $70. Then I found an engine from my dads friend out of a 93 caprice complete with whole wiring harness (key to have). Then I kind of just planned out everything including the swap and all that. I got an electric fuel pump and a new radiator. The hardest thing for me was finding the right fan shroud that wasn't on eBay for $200. Also bought myself a chilton book for both the cutlass and caprice to make wiring easier. Now the easy part is the swap. Took maybe 2 days. The new motor mounts only use 3 holes (they make adapter mounts I believe but this was easier for me). The bottom left hangs off the front towards the front of the car and the others are normal. Then it's just a matter of dropping the 350 in and there you have it. I did find out that the stock exhaust on the cutlass doesn't quite match the crossover from the manifold on the 350 for me so I had a shop do some fabricating. Um some other key factors are fuel lines. The fuel lines on the cutlass were on the drivers side and go to a mechanical pump mounted on the engine. So I opted to find some old fuel lines from a pickup that had a throttle body and get the lines from that. Worked out great as these were braided and not steel so they didn't have a definite bend to them. The wiring was the worst part. That took a few weeks figuring out where everything went and cutting wires to work for the fuel pump, distributor, ecm power and alternator. Long story short on the wiring part is having the chilton book helped a lot and plus having the whole wiring harness from the caprice also. Last but not least is making everything look nice. I had to cut a hole in the passenger floor pan to feed the ecm wires through as they would not fit in the existing cutlass hole. I did all of that so I could put the ecm back where it was supposed to be. After working all summer on this project it was finished and looks pretty much factory so I'm proud!

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Nicely done. You're clearly qualified to give advice on the Forum! Looking forward to photos, when you can post them.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
Haha well thank you! This site actually helped me through a lot of it. Through all the pain aching and not knowing if it would work :) and after about 2 weeks of driving it (so much more power and fun now btw) but I decided to get a set of vortec heads and a vortec intake and I'll put those in, in the spring time. I just have endless things to do and I wish I had the money. But regardless of how much money I spent, I'm very happy and proud to have swapped the v8 in

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The few purpose-built Vortec manifolds for TBI are expensive - you might save some dough using a 4-barrel and making an adapter plate that bolts between the throttle body and the manifold.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
Nicely done. You're clearly qualified to give advice on the Forum! Looking forward to photos, when you can post them.
I will try to remember to take a few more pics of the engine soon for you guys! image.jpeg image.jpeg

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
I actually bought the heads and intake for $120. They came off a 97 pickup and look to be in pretty good shape.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Ah. I think the 97 truck system used a CPI vs. a TBI. I think you will find the injection systems bolt on in a completely different manner. Please prove me wrong by figuring it out.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
Ah. I think the 97 truck system used a CPI vs. a TBI. I think you will find the injection systems bolt on in a completely different manner. Please prove me wrong by figuring it out.
I did take a look and it is slightly different so I'm not too sure if going with this intake is really the right way but I'll look into it and see. The new intake has the head unit on it so I'll have to see if I can get it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor