Buick 350 into 83 Cutlass - 307 out

Status
Not open for further replies.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I just today dropped my 1972 Buick 350 into place to check the fit and I have a few questions for those who have done this swap.

I was planning on tack welding the frame pads onto the crossmember, lifting the 350 out to weld them into place and then dropping the 350 in for the final install. sound about right?

My passenger side valve cover is VERY close to the AC box at its rearmost. anyone experience this? I was considering denting the cover for clearance.

everything else "looks" ok for the physical fit.

Any tips on radiator hoses, engine brackets etc etc will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7,417

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
IIRC, all the 231 Buick V6 accessories and motor mounts will interchange with the Buick 350. I'm sure they can be had for next to nothing since most people yank the V6 in favor of something else. I've never been a fan of welding something when there's a bolt-in option, but that's just my opinion.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Try setting the engine about an inch forward. It's still tight but you can get the valve cover off. You may have clearance issues with the oil filter but can use the filter adapter from a V6, It's on a different angle.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can do it that way, I did that installing an Olds 307 in place of a sbc 350 in a 78 1/2 ton. Pretty much all the 3.8 stuff will fit on the Buick 350.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Ah yes it had slipped my mind that the 6cyl stuff would fit.

I have the power steering bracketry from a 6 and I will use it.
I also have a non ac alternator bracket set I will use.

I did get the 350 about another .25" or .5" forward by loosening the trans mounts, tapping the crossmember forward and pulling the trans forward as far as I could.

It is just enough clearance that I should be able to get the passenger valve cover off. Also the oil filter clears just enough to spin off. hopefully the radiator hose will clear it.

I welded the frame mounts in plave since that little additional movement forward sat them solidly on the crossmember.

I have to replace the rear trans mount because I broke the stud off it.

Then Its time for the TC bolts and bellhousing bolts. After that the engine bay hookups.

Does anyone think the 307 Starter will have any issues with turning a 350?

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I think I still have the OEM Buick 6 cyl HEI unit around here that came with the Cutlass..

That should fit the 350 fine and it is a CCC HEI with Electronic Spark Timing...perfect!

I will need the V8 307 HEI cap, rotor, module and wires ( summit coil too)

I will use the 350 V8 distributor gear off the Points 350 distributor.

anything else to consider there?

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
The V6 distributor housing will fit the 350, but the rest of it is useless to you. Additionally, the points type gear wont fit the HEI, different shaft diameter. I went with an Accel optical conversion for my 455 distributor. Works flawlessly and its easy & inexpensive. As for hoses, get them for a 68-72 skylark with the Buick 350. The starter, they're basically all the same except for the nose cone & solenoid, mine is from the 231 i pulled from the car. Also, make sure you put a shield over the solenoid, Buick exhaust manifolds come very close to it and can fry it. :mrgreen:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Olds starter is different, mounts on the other side does it not? The 307 is a weak unit, tough turning over my 8 to 1 403. Pontiac and Olds share the same starter.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
olds307 and 403 said:
The Olds starter is different, mounts on the other side does it not?

Yes, it does, because it has a different nose (silver part in the picture). The case, armature, brushes etc. are all the same.

03-0367_ang.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor