Buick 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
So I found this guy selling a Buick 350. He said he would let it go for $2000. I’ll post everything that’s been done to it in the pics. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Thank you

Attachments

• D3E0E824-C23C-414E-8F18-DE1883CE8A87.png
    D3E0E824-C23C-414E-8F18-DE1883CE8A87.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 55393ED1-535B-4D99-B9E9-DA3F4DA686B9.png
    55393ED1-535B-4D99-B9E9-DA3F4DA686B9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 2CA978B1-3896-4751-9774-4B596EC76273.png
    2CA978B1-3896-4751-9774-4B596EC76273.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 83

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
So I found this guy selling a Buick 350. He said he would let it go for $2000. I’ll post everything that’s been done to it in the pics. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Thank you
All I can say is check it over thoroughly. If it's legit and your happy with it then it's a good price. Buick engines are a bit expensive to build, unlike a Chevy.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Nothing done to the bottom end? So maybe just a half worn out factory short block with a new top end?

With all the top end work is the rocker geometry still proper?

What's the oil pressure?

What's the compression test look like?

Why do they want out of this build after all that expense?

Reactions: 4 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Nothing done to the bottom end? So maybe just a half worn out factory short block with a new top end?

With all the top end work is the rocker geometry still proper?

What's the oil pressure?

What's the compression test look like?

Why do they want out of this build after all that expense?
Those are good questions. That’s why asked you guys before pulling the trigger. How much do you think it would cost to build the bottom end? Roughly speaking

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Those are good questions. That’s why asked you guys before pulling the trigger. How much do you think it would cost to build the bottom end? Roughly speaking
Here's my thoughts on it...

First reaction was similar to ELCAM so I decided to ruminate for a bit.

You've got a bottom end that lists nothing done as stated.

He talks about 'biggest vales'... you would think he would give specifics. (More on this later.)

When you miss heads instead of block, you DO raise compression ratio... but not in the best way. Piston to top ofndecl height remain the same. So, basically you're increasing destination proclivity. Had you milled the block, not the.heads, then you'd raise CR with less detonation risk.

With the heads on there, how knows if they came out true or if there's sealing issues. Do you know this shop?

No mention of casting numbers/year. Based on the shortcut to raising compression I vote snogget motor they raised from about an 8.0CR to around a 9.0CR and were disappointed.

To take advantage of the head job, and whatever valves are in there, requires a cam swap. But thought knowing valve sizes, ordering g one.... ?????

Alot of the other stuff if window dressing to me. Carb. Flywheel. Water pump. So o ln so on.

To be honest, sounds like a motor a guy threw itmoney at based on internet hearsay, flogged it, wasnt kappyand moved on.

Will someone pay near it? Probably. I'd m

ore eam towards a pullout of a bone stuck,.runs like sewing machine unmklested.millmbr pai d c for. A restomkd. _l

 Mh

Reactions: 1 user

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
A Buick 350 is definitely more expensive than a chevy, I agree with that comment 💯%,as I have one in my car. The big valves to my knowledge in this engine they only offer 1 bigger then stock. Machine work isn't cheap, but also remember as the years pass by its getting older buick 350s were made from 1968-1981. I'm going to pull mine tonight to fix an issue and put it it back in and drive it. As long as money is there in the distant future I have plans on throwing a hemi in it with an 8 speed.(I have a wife and 3 kids and my wife says a bigger house is first.) I have owned my car since 2009 I can say I do have regrets to putting a buick 350 in because of parts available and upgrades are double or triple as compared to some other engines. I'm sure some may not like the whole hemi thing but they are on marketplace decently priced with good hp to start. If you really want a buick 350 get a least 1974 or newer because it should have the better rods and also take the time and pencil out the cost the whole way threw. Josh

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
i agree with the above about the bottom end. Buicks are really great engines but the oiling system is the weak link. I had a 1968 350 and I went with the high volume oil pump as well as fully grooved main bearings and the leak proof rear main seal. Buick changed compression with the pistons, not the heads. The high compression was ruining it so I swapped the 1968 block for a 1974 low compression short block. I kept the big valve '68 heads and Quadra-jet intake. It was great set up and moved that land barge LaSabre quite well. It would have been killer in a G-body Regal. I don't know where this guy found a Buick manual trans flywheel but kudos to him.

Reactions: 2 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Thank you for all your input. I think I’m going to pass on it. Knowing my luck as soon as I get it installed a rod will start knocking.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I agree $2000 is too much. $1000 maybe would've been a better deal.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Thank you for all your input. I think I’m going to pass on it. Knowing my luck as soon as I get it installed a rod will start knocking.
I agree $2000 is too much. $1000 maybe would've been a better deal.
Well yeah, free would be even better lol. To be honest I would pay $2000 if I knew I was getting a motor that was gonna last and perform like it should. But like ELCAM said why does he want out of this build after putting a decent amount time and money into it. It just seems suspect

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor