Buick 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Another thing is that he put all that money into the top end I assume for higher horsepower. But a Buick is an under-square engine that makes gobs of power at low rpm's. I know TA Performance and it's parts are great. But as stated above, if you don't put the work into the crank, rods, and bearings, you WILL be sorry. [edit: he bought a TA flywheel- that was not cheap by any means].

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Another thing is that he put all that money into the top end I assume for higher horsepower. But a Buick is an under-square engine that makes gobs of power at low rpm's. I know TA Performance and it's parts are great. But as stated above, if you don't put the work into the crank, rods, and bearings, you WILL be sorry. [edit: he bought a TA flywheel- that was not cheap by any means].
That 2k or whatever the seller spent would've been way better spent on making the bottom end bullet proof and porting the stock heads.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Looking at rock auto prices you might be able to do a factory quality rebuild of the short block for about $1000.

Figure a little more for a better cam.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Am I missing something? That listing looks like it's just for parts.
I guess that's not too bad on heads if they were done well (considering the cost of the would-be Buick 350 aluminum heads (still hoping TA finds a CNC guy)), but being decked that much I would wonder if you would need to take the intake too and keep them together. Hopefully the valve guides were planned out for the cam correctly. I just had my B350 heads refreshed and the machinist said that my valve retainers were smashing into the valve stem seals. (I paid a hair under 2k for a "rebuilt" engine 10 years ago and it was a heap.)

One more thing to consider, if this guy was planning to go from automatic to manual and found out that his engine had an automatic only crank, that might be why he's dumping everything. It's a lot easier to get a Chevy small block and an LT1 T56 than to totally rebuild a Buick V8 and be stuck with either no overdrive or a 3,000 dollar overdrive.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If that is so then why show the assembled engine? That said, $200 for a TA manual flywheel is a STEAL!!!! They only sell steel and aluminum so if I had a Buick I would be calling this guy ASAP. The Saginaw trans w/shifter is reasonable too. He doesn't mention what first gear it has though.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
It is a complete engine for sale. He sent me a video of it running and it does have a lumpy cam in it but he said it is starting to knock. so I’m sure that pretty much answers everyones questions. I told him I’m gonna have to pass. He also said that he tried to get heads from TA but there was such a long wait for them he had his machined. So if anyone is interested in anything he has let me know.

Reactions: 1 users

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
" Hopefully the valve guides were planned out for the cam correctly. I just had my B350 heads refreshed and the machinist said that my valve retainers were smashing into the valve stem seals. "
I feel your pain, I had this happen years ago, I'm so far in the hole with the engine I have a bunch of wasted money because of this. The machine work that was needed to be done, wasn't done as the machinist said it was done and ready to go.

Last edited:
  • Friendly

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I feel your pain, I had this happen years ago, I'm so far in the hole with the engine I have a bunch of wasted money because of this. The machine work that was needed to be done, wasn't done as the machinist said it was done and ready to go.
I'm not saying that I don't like my engine, but I would give a lot to go back in time and not buy my engine. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor