Buick front rotor interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Some may know that I have an 83 Regal wagon. I was of the delusion that all g-Bodies used the same front spindles and rotors.

The front rotors on the 83 use the larger metric studs. However, the two sets of wheels that I switch back and forth between depending on season, both use the 7/16ths lug nuts. When I got the car, I punched out the metric studs and redrilled for some 7/16 studs which have a larger shank.

But now I'm in need of new front rotors and am looking for a pair of stock rotors that already have the smaller 7/16ths studs without having to change them out. I ordered a pair off an 81 Cutlass because I knew the studs would be correct since the rear axle in the car is also from an 81 Cutlass. (long story)

But it seems the Cutlass rotors do not fit fit the Buick front spindles correctly. Of course, I was trying to use my Buick bearings and seal. Visually everything appears to be the same. But I don't have a micrometer to get to measuring the inside bores and things. The seal is a very loose fit. So I'm guessing the bearing aren't the same either.

In doing some parts look-up, it shows both the Buick and Olds using the same inner bearing and seal. Although the outer bearing is different.

Anybody got any simple ideas? I do not wish to upgrade to any kind of Blazer or Corvette brakes or anything of that sort. I don't want to have the change out the spindles either. Would an earlier Buick rotor work before the studs went metric?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did a past owner put '78 spindles of the wagon? Those are the only ones that are different from the '79-'81/'82-'88 ones. That would also explaine why it had 7/16 studs instead of 12mm. If this is the case get the correct spindles.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
The spindles are original to the 83. I knocked out the 12mm studs and installed the 7/16" studs. The rotors were the 83 rotors. I'm looking for something that will fit the 83 spindles but have 7/16" studs.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Since you're saying those are original use any '79-'81 A body then & they'll have the 7/16 studs. For those other rotors they could of been mispackaged when they were made.

Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Wouldn't that 81 Cutlass that I referenced fall under the A-Body listing? Those are the rotors I have on the bench but they don't seem to fit right. Unless, as you're saying, they were mispackaged. I'll need to dig a little bit deeper there.

Last edited:

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
The outer wheel bearing can be set 2 or set 3 depending on spindle, and this was on my 1981. Both Autozone and O'rielly's / Checkers have this in their computers.

But use 1979-1981 rotors as said.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor