buick regal question.. need help asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
Ok so i bought this 87 regal with t tops. It had stupid racing buckets bolted to the floor so i sold them and now on the hunt for buckets but im confused. My regal has a console but it looks like it was originally column shift. I have no idea if this had bucket seats or a 60/40 bench. Will this be a problem if i buy buckets and it was a 60/40 seat Originally? Also i am reading a lot about putting seats from late 90s and 2000s gp's or monte's.. I dont know which way to go? I cant find seats anywhere, but before i buy i want to make sure im not going to run into any wierd issues with not knowing if it had buckets or the 60/40 front seats.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
If you had buckets or the 60/40 bench seats then you'd be ok either way. When I bought my monte it had 60/40 bench seats and when I switched to buckets I used the tracks from the 60/40. Hope this helps.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Both the bucket seat tracks, and the 60/40 seat tracks will fit the mounts on the floor. If you want to install bucket seats, that's fine. MOST GM bucket seats made over the past 30 years or so will fit-just be careful to check the width of the seats that you're looking at, because if they're too wide, either they will hit the console or they won't allow you to close the door. I found this out when I tried to fit the power bucket seats from a '93 Bonneville SSEi into my '84 Monte with factory buckets and console. The Bonneville seats are just too wide to fit between the factory console, and the door. Many other GM bucket seats will work though. Right now, I've got bucket seats from a '96-'98 Pontiac Grand Am in the car. I had them re-upholstered to match the interior, and they look and feel great, and they bolt right up to a factory G body bucket seat track (power or manual). Later model Cavalier or Sunfire seats will work too-just make sure you get seats from a 2 door car. I know that the Cavalier and Sunfire are economy cars, but the seats look pretty good, and they are comfortable. Also, be careful of which tracks that you use. Ideally, you want to find seat tracks from a bucket seat car. Some of the 60/40 tracks have a wider bolt mounting pattern where the seat bolts to the track. If I remember correctly, the mounting holes on the bottom of a GM bucket seat are roughly 12 1/2" apart from side to side, while the mounting holes on some 60/40 seat tracks are roughly 13 1/2" apart from side to side. I found this out from personal experience, when I tried to bolt a GM bucket seat onto a power seat track from a 60/40 split bench seat car. Try to take your time, look around, measure things up, and try to find a combination that you like, and will fit together. Good luck. Hope this helps.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the info. Im llokong at newer monte and grand prix seats.. But im trying to track down stock bucket seat brackets and tracks.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The newer Pontiac GTO seats are a popular upgrade too, but the installation appears to be fairly complex, and they are a tight fit. I'm told that they're VERY comfy though. If you don't have much experience with a custom install, it might be easier to stick with something that will work with a stock bucket seat track. Good luck. Keep us posted if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor