buick v-6 to SBO 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Fellas,

I need to probe someones brain who has done this swap. Seems every 2 steps gained on this swap, I loose a foot or two. Any help will be greatly appreciated. You can PM me or do it on here. Main problem I am having now is electrical issues. Gauges are starting to fail, idiot lights are starting to show, although very dim, and I have had to replace the alternator already. I am pretty sure that I have wired up something wrong, or left something unhooked, etc. Just gettin a bit tired of the constant nagging of this car. It does not want to accept its new heart transplant without a fight...lol

Thanks!

Bill

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
bill said:
Fellas,

I need to probe someones brain who has done this swap. Seems every 2 steps gained on this swap, I loose a foot or two. Any help will be greatly appreciated. You can PM me or do it on here. Main problem I am having now is electrical issues. Gauges are starting to fail, idiot lights are starting to show, although very dim, and I have had to replace the alternator already. I am pretty sure that I have wired up something wrong, or left something unhooked, etc. Just gettin a bit tired of the constant nagging of this car. It does not want to accept its new heart transplant without a fight...lol

Thanks!

Bill

I did it back in 1989 in an 1982 Cutlass Supreme and can't remember much about the wiring being a problem. I disconnected the ECM entirely and swapped the rallye pack cluster at the same time which required a highly modified engine harness for oil psi, water temp. Back then switching to the Rallye Pack was undocumented and I did it myself without the help of the internet. My only suggestion is that you make sure you have good grounds. I added a 2nd intake to firewall ground on my 442 using a donor wire from a salvage car (the wide braided copper style). Good luck.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Anubis said:
bill said:
Fellas,

Thanks!

Bill

I did it back in 1989 in an 1982 Cutlass Supreme and can't remember much about the wiring being a problem. I disconnected the ECM entirely and swapped the rallye pack cluster at the same time which required a highly modified engine harness for oil psi, water temp. Back then switching to the Rallye Pack was undocumented and I did it myself without the help of the internet. My only suggestion is that you make sure you have good grounds. I added a 2nd intake to firewall ground on my 442 using a donor wire from a salvage car (the wide braided copper style). Good luck.

Well....The problems really started at the beginning, when I had a fella pull the motor/trans because he wanted my trans that I was glad to get rid of and he neglected to label the wiring after pulling the engine. So, I narrowed down most of the wiring to get the car wired up and running. But I started to notice problems as time went on, like the heater blower not working and the volt meter showing low voltage. Now, after the trans shop had the car for a month or more, the gauges are all screwwy....nothing seems to read correctly. speedometer and sometimes the tach works...lights work, but none of the idiot lights come on when you turn the key and the two at the top of the dash are on ALL the time (dimly lit) even when the key is off....smh....the mechanic said that the alternator was bad when he drove the car and the car would shut off because the distributor wasnt getting enough voltage....(optima batteries dont like to sit) ...So, I put a new alternator in the car, new battery...no difference. I think they f'd up my wiring somehow....im just really pissed that taking a car to a shop makes it worse than before it got there.... :wtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor