buick V6 tech/performance upgrade guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
IF i can gather enough info and part numbers for things like cams intakes and the like how many would be interested in an "article" post in the engine section for buick V6's? im asking because i am STILL finding cams and intakes for these engines and i hope to god im not the only one who actually likes this engine.

now i plan on gathering this information for myself but if i get enough feedback i'll take the time to put it all into an article including links and part numbers for everything i find.

so who's interested?

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I really like tweaking the stock engines in these cars to see what type of improvement can be had. It would be nice to "log" all of your sources and the effect that all of the upgrades will have. I'm sure that many people will benefit.

I often wonder how much the horsepower one could get out of the 231-v6-2bbl engine. It would be cool to see the stock v6 original 110hp boosted to 220hp thru a "normal" carb!

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
depends on how far you want to go with mods.

easily i can find an intake, weiand, edelbrock, the stock 4.1 4 bbl.

crower makes cams for this engine as does comp. crower has 4 cams for it from stock to race.

pistons im working but i dont think there are any that actually raise compression above stock and more buick V6 pistons are for the turbo than non turbo version.

there are headers, pace setter, hedman and hooker. all 3 can be had with the jet hot ceramic coating good for up to 1200 degrees. it essentially keeps the heat from transferring through the header and blows out through the exhaust making for a cooler engine compartment. carcraft even tested this coating out and it significantly reduced header temps while running and after a few minutes i think, the headers were cool enough to touch with your bare hands. the coating works and jet hot can put it on any header or piece of exhaust you send them.

those are the major bolt on stuff. i have seen pulleys from march...but that was years ago and finding them might be impossible and IMO, most likely nothing worth pursuing.

but im sure machining can help, balancing the crank and rotating assembly in general, since ive notice these things like to vibrate and shake.

ignition parts arent too hard to come by, coils, modules, cap and rotor, distributors...and the regular MSD stuff wires right in except the MSD 5 they had, said it wouldnt work with even fire engines. i have no idea why.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Would still think that with ported/polished heads, 4bbl carb, intake upgrade, cam upgrade, headers and a free flowing exhaust that +210hp is attainable! The only issue is the $$ but if a person was on a budget they could still do less and see a huge improvement!

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
They do make a lot for the turbo v6 its like the ford 2.3 parts are kinda high tho.I like them but like the stage 3 3800 better tho.But each there own.If i remember right taperformance.com has some parts pro-gram.com has the billet main caps.A list for you http://www.gnttype.org/vendors/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor