Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Dang. Thought there would be an option/competition for the extremely expensive JD. Had my hopes up there for a second.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
“Bothers Me” is not accurate. Would prefer it just not be there. Was just looking for expertise on the issue to see if it could be easily or just cheaply repaired while I’m doing the stereo swap?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
o_O

I can’t even get a decent pic of it. Too dark in the car with no dome light (my interior is still stripped for new headliner, floor goo removal, Dynamat everywhere, sound system install) and the flash on my Iphone just washes everything out.

Overhead dome light or sunlight you can see it. Not terrible just something I wish I could fix?

Last edited:

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Ordered the Regal 2" front bumper lip from Gbodyparts even though [yes I know] it is too wide. The Buick bumper is 4" wider and drops a bit in the middle compared to the flat 442 Cutty bumper. I can cut it in the center, rebond, and paint though. Leaning toward the lower body silver on it but could do a CF wrap if I can match it to my actual CF Splitter that will attach to it and have it look good. Once I know for sure then it will go off to Aeroflow. I think I can use the gap it will have in the middle for specific airflow. More on that later once I know that is true?

I also ordered the Gbodyparts B-pillar trim but they sent the wrap around plastic interior piece instead of the exterior molding so they are going back. FYI, Not sure they even have any more B-pillar trim so I'm going to have to pull a "Donovan Miracle" and remove the rock dents in mine and re-chrome.

Frame is ready to drop . . . wish me luck! Actually the body is going up as I am only doing the 2" separation to get the bushings swapped. I will clean and coat it as well as possible while separated. At least that is the plan . . . If my health improves enough that my frame not being boxed is a problem, then my piddly 450/550 power numbers will need to change too. I can deal with both later. Just too much effort the way I feel now to do the complete frame separation.

But, if I don't make any more posts, you'll know it did not go well . . . :doh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As long as the ones you have aren’t too badly damaged/dented up, they’re definitely restorable and it’s not even that tough to do, despite my struggles with the belt mouldings. The belt mouldings are very wide, long and flat, and those make for a b*tch to get right.

Once yours are straightened, you’d have more time into stripping and polishing them back to original than it took to straighten them.

You got this Garth, I have faith in ya.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
PROGRESS! :eek:

Well, front end assy is loose from the frame and I got the front 2 bushings out. From just look and feel of the rest, these are likely the "best" ones of the lot. Yet, even these you can flake off rubber chunks with your thumbnail plus, just being SO squishy compared to the replacement poly-bushings, I suspect these new bushings alone are going to make a LOT of difference in the way this car handles/drives. Can't see it from the pic but the one on the left had the part that goes through the frame almost completely loose from the rest of the bushing.

image1 (1).jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Or head some gain way?

Whatever works?

I was going to try and shim up the body with 2x4s, do all bushings, and then clean/coat the frame. I may just work my way toward the rear and swap them in pairs if that seems easier? Unlike a full frame drop, I’m not sure just 2” buys me much for any better clean and coat?

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor