Build update on my '84 Cutlass!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
It's been a busy year for me trying to make my car look better and go faster. I retired my ZZ4 after 6 yrs of thrashing on it. I decided to upgrade to a HT383 block and reused my AFR 210cc heads and used a different bump stick. Had it broke in on a Dyno and it ran 490hp and 462 on torque. Not to bad for a mild SBC build on 91 pump gas. I also ditched the Carb for Holley Fuel Injection and more spark from MSD. Upgraded my 8.5 axles and installed C-clip eliminators and a Girdle cover. Then I started running 7's in the 1/8 and it was hard to slow down with all stock brakes. So I upgraded to all Willwood brakes at all 4 corners. It's still very street able and has great sound coming from 3'' stainless with X-pipe, Super 44 Flowmasters. I can get 15mpg if I baby it going down the freeway at 70mph. Here are some pics.

Reactions: 4 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
350 .060 over forged insides, but crappy heads with a big cam, th350 shift kit 2800 stall, holley 650 dp, 3" exhaust with dump offs, wtc. I just got my 8.5 rear but in the process of building it up.

I want to eventually upgrade the heads, ignition, axles, body/frame reinforcement, brakes, etc.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I have pictures on here but can't seem to copy and paste the link to the thread. I'm currently trying to figure out my hood situation since the high rise dual plane spacer and carb don't fit with an adequate filter

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
350 .060 over forged insides, but crappy heads with a big cam, th350 shift kit 2800 stall, holley 650 dp, 3" exhaust with dump offs, wtc. I just got my 8.5 rear but in the process of building it up.

I want to eventually upgrade the heads, ignition, axles, body/frame reinforcement, brakes, etc.
What heads you running now? The axles are worth it and do the C-clip elinminators. I also did some frame brace upgrades from UMI. Don't know if they helped at all in my opinion.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
I have pictures on here but can't seem to copy and paste the link to the thread. I'm currently trying to figure out my hood situation since the high rise dual plane spacer and carb don't fit with an adequate filter
I had to cut a whole in my hood then mounted on a 4inch cowl from Jegs. It looks cheap but helps draw in more air.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
882 with 1.95 and 1.55, supposed to be ported and polished but they did nothing on the intake runners and minimal on the exhaust. Looking at some dart pro 1 with 200 cc intake locally. Cam has around .520" lift. I have the f41 package but want to add rear v shock tower bracing, gn rear seat brace and gp bar. I'm playing with the 3" cowl I've got but undecided on whether in gonna use it or get something better newer. I really like how yours comes all the way forward

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
882 with 1.95 and 1.55, supposed to be ported and polished but they did nothing on the intake runners and minimal on the exhaust. Looking at some dart pro 1 with 200 cc intake locally. Cam has around .520" lift. I have the f41 package but want to add rear v shock tower bracing, gn rear seat brace and gp bar. I'm playing with the 3" cowl I've got but undecided on whether in gonna use it or get something better newer. I really like how yours comes all the way forward
You can definitlly wake it up with some better heads....I have 3.42 gears and I can run down guys at the track with all that extra air in gulps in. With that bigger bore you should run Dart Iron Eagle's with 230cc intake runners. I believe they are ready for 2.08 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves. Those heads would bring you closer to what i have. I have that rear brace as well and Hotchkis sway bars....those were my most noticeable chassis upgrades.

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Beautiful car. Good looking work. Under the hood looks spotless. That's a stout small block. I checked some 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile conversions and you should be mid to low 12's in the 1/4. That's pretty quick but I bet it'll run quicker. How much dialing in have you done? It seems to me that this car could probably run low 12's or high 11's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor