Building a dream 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
I know, a lot of people are going to say "why build a 305 when you could build a nice 350" etc. But the 305 is the original engine out of my 79 cutlass salon 442. I want to know, if people were going to build a monster 305. what parts and things would you do/buy for the engine? i just want some ideas. I wont be taking the engine apart for another year or so but i just want some ideas to ponder for a while thanks!

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
front top to bottom...

650cfm Holley double pumper, Edelbrock rpm airgap, ported L98 heads (exactly what's on my 350 now), 274H cam, speedpro 10:1 flatops (probably with stock deck, too much compression if decked), stock rods and stock crank

basically... I would build it just the way my 350 is built, but a little less carb, a little less cam, and a milder intake

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
I've often thought about this as well. It'd be cool to build an "OEM plus" g-body.

If money was no problem...

If I could build a "dream 305", I'd want to stick with stock parts as much as possible - just building a more efficient 305. I'd get the stock rotating assembly rebalanced and the bottom end blueprinted. I'd pay to get the stock heads ported from a reputable shop. I'd get the pistons and chambers (and everything) ceramic coated. I'd try using the stock cam, and possibly adding a set of higher ratio rockers (after checking on the dyno if it made a power difference). Imo the cam is the brain of the engine, and I wouldn't want to change the engine's "personality" much, for an oem+ build.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think the most bang-for-the-buck would come from a stroker kit. That gives you 331ci. It also brings you pretty close to a "square" motor. Squares are typically very good at making nice, broad torque curves. Many of the auto makers have been trending that direction over the last several years. The Ford 4.6 and GM 5.3 are good examples. They aren't famous for posting high horsepower numbers but the torque makes them very responsive for their relatively small displacements. They also do pretty well at the pump.

-3.75" stroker kit
-"305" Vortec heads. They aren't as "good" as L31 heads but make torque and the slightly smaller intake valves won't be as shrouded as the L31s.
-Edelbrock Performer intake.
-Edelbrock 650 carb
-Comp XE256H cam
This combo would probably get you about 250hp/340tq. It won't be a high rpm screamer but will make the most of the torque that a stroker is designed to create.

If you were willing to use a later 305 block that is set up for a roller cam you could probably build a bit more power and torque.

If you were willing to go outside the box but still have a 305 you can get there with LT1/L99 parts. By using the block, pistons, heads and intake components from the L99 with the crank, rods and cam from the LT1 you have a traditional 305 dimensions in an LT1 wrapper. This combo would get you in the 280hp/370tq neighborhood.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
well my 305 now has a holley 3310. which is a 750. it has a weber power plate on it and it makes my current 305 run good i just want to rebuild the original one and put it in the car

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
We have 2 305's. one is an autozone reman with a crane cam, Edelbrock eps intake, hookers, and a well tuned 600 vac sec Holley. Son says it was the badass of the 2. His is much the same except I believe its an 85 camaro with 1.82 intakes. Both have roller tips. the cam was a .480 lift, I believe @ 270 grind. 350 heads chambers are likely too big for a 305. For sure check the 305 head gasket on any head considered. Be sure the chamber is in the bore. Happy wrenchin

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
I've been looking into building my 305 for a while now since my Buick 350 swap went out the window for now. Here is some reading for you on a few things that I found:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... ewall.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/cc ... ewall.html

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki ... 305_engine

http://www.hioutput.com/tech/343hp/343hp.html

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/eng ... ine_build/

The last link above, I decided to go with for my street application. With a torque curve of at least 300 ft/lb's from 2900rpm's all the way to 5700rpm's, (As far as their dyno graph shows that is, and appears like it would see low 300 to mid or high 200 numbers all the way to idle. The whole curve in general really surprised me to be honest..) it should make a really nice daily driver with more pep than I think some would anticipate coming from a 305. Since those are the operating ranges I'll be seeing mostly with my car, it makes sense, at least to me, to use that build-up. Plus they used a later ('87 and up roller cam 305) like mine, which sealed the deal for me. Only thing I will be doing differently is keeping my Q-jet and going with a Performer intake I think.

Anyway, hope this helps you out a bit, as it has for me. I know not everyone would give this engine the light of day, but when it's what you have to work with, why not try and make it work? It's good to see some people still have interest in it and give some help. Will it perform just like a 350? Nope, but is it the diluted turd everyone says? Not so much, IMO. It's all about the total combination of parts and how they work together. :) I know these aren't necessarily builds to a "Dream 305" but just to show what it can do I suppose.

joe79carlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2010
I have a h.o. 305 with high com heads an erson cam, weiland intake, upgraded dis, flowtech headers , edelbrock 1406 carb well tuned and duel exhaust thrusher mufflers im pretty happy with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor