Building a Hot Rod in Canada Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
My darling wife, and CFO, just sent me this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canadian-consumers-1.4586668

In short: price fixing, taxes and duties, and a weak dollar kill us to exponential levels.

I am headed State-side this weekend for a parts pick-up, and I am going to get butt-raped for taxes on the way back home.

So the next time a Canadian asks you for a deal on some parts, think of the children he/she still has to feed with what little money is left over. It is like Cuba - but with poutine, snow and hockey, and French instead of Spanish (two out of three ain't bad).

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It is disgusting how we get hosed here in Canada. When we raced against US teams it cost them half the price of ours to build.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
In short: price fixing, taxes and duties, and a weak dollar kill us to exponential levels.

Two of my suppliers are in the Techumseh / Windsor area and their parking lot is full of BMW's and other expensive cars.
I have many friends there that are also complaining... Right now the exchange rate is not in your favor for sure but when the tree hugging
Democrats occupy the office it has been the other way.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sorry to hear that.
Idaho is still awesome.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
The first time I rebuilt my big block and the CDN dollar was low I bought a whole bunch of stuff from Summit Racing.
Some of the parts were almost double the price of the Summit catalog prices.
Guy

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I think it's all a mess, Trumps nuts and Trudeau is crazy so l don't see anything changing anytime soon. Oops politics!!

I use to have the theory "buy Canadian", but when l go to buy a part here and get raped by the store F that. I can still order it from the States for a third of the cost at my door. Example, 1 rear brake cable $150 here, all 3 Rockauto $50 plus $50 to ship to my door. Summit ships to Toronto for free, cheap to get it to Niagara, and parts are about half for what l'd pay here. It's all insane!!!

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
It is like Cuba - but with poutine, snow and hockey, and French instead of Spanish (two out of three ain't bad).
come to minnesota, we have snow, hockey and that poutine is starting to catch on and no vehicle inspections or emission checks. not bad for a liberal state.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yah we get raped for parts up here. Here in Saskatchewan, no emissions testing and very few speak French, or at least they don't admit they can speak it.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
wow i had no idea it was like this,that's not fair at all.sorry to hear it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
wow i had no idea it was like this,that's not fair at all.sorry to hear it.

In our area, part of it is the small population. For example, I had to get parts sent through Amazon to my Daughter in Brandon, Manitoba, a city of 50,000. We are just under 5,000 for population but considered a remote location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor