Building a new shop from the ground up

Status
Not open for further replies.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Figured I would share the progress on my shop build here. I've been busy planning this out and doing the finish work. I'm hoping to wrap it up soon so I can get back to work on what matters - the car :)

Attachments

• IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_1291.JPG
    IMG_1291.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 311
Reactions: 1 user

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
A few more pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 287
  • painted_heater.jpg
    painted_heater.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 311
  • lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 1stStageEpoxy.jpg
    1stStageEpoxy.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 285
  • gar1.jpg
    gar1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: 1 user

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Nice shop!

... for covering the scissor-lift, do you plan to roll heavy stuff -- like a car -- over the cover? If it's just for personal safety & cosmetics, an idea could be to build a frame and mount it to the bottom of a piece of your flooring material, then cut the frame so the piece sits flush with the floor

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Mostly for personal safety, but I am thinking of making it sturdy enough to roll a car over it just in case I need to do that. I left about an inch of space all the way around to be able to mount a steel lip for something to sit on - like a steel plate. In addition, the lift pads should also support the plate. Weight is obviously the issue with this plan; moving a steel plate of that size could get complex. Another thought I had was to cut it into a few sections. The total size of the opening is about 40" wide by 105" in length.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
man good looking wish I had a lift of some sort! the heater addition was a nice option for mine as well BUT i'm going to replace it with a larger unit this year, it struggles to keep it warm as the garage is too big. I will admit though the best part for me was last summer I bought a cheap swamp cooler, had my buddy cut a hole and install it and on the hottest day it was cool with the the door open and it was 90+ degree weather outside! I love my "shop" as all my buddies call it, only reason I bought my house but damn i'm running out of room!
20140427_180224_zpsj2zf0l3f.jpg

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
man good looking wish I had a lift of some sort! the heater addition was a nice option for mine as well BUT i'm going to replace it with a larger unit this year, it struggles to keep it warm as the garage is too big. I will admit though the best part for me was last summer I bought a cheap swamp cooler, had my buddy cut a hole and install it and on the hottest day it was cool with the the door open and it was 90+ degree weather outside! I love my "shop" as all my buddies call it, only reason I bought my house but damn i'm running out of room!

Thanks! The heater is a must have for sure. I have the water source in range so I will be adding a swamp cooler this summer or the summer after. I also insulated the walls and attic space - I just need to do the garage door. I have a 3 car attached to the house that I will use to park cars and store oversized items like my engine hoist. This one will be strictly to work on my projects. I wasn't going to do the lift at first, but after the 25% off coupon at harbor freight, the lift I got was not that expensive. You can also find them used on craigslist. I ran across one for about $800, but the guy just sold it when I called.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I went cheap and bought some aluminum faced insulation panels from home depot, cut them down and fitted them to non insulated door... MADE A DIFFERENCE! no doubt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor