Building a SBC 400 Opinions required!

Status
Not open for further replies.

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
so, yesterday i came across a sbc 400 long block for $100. Awesome. I got into it last night and pulled it apart, it had been rebuilt in the past, bored 40 over, new dished pistons, 5.7 rods, crank had been resurfaced. Cylinders are in great shape, as are pistons and tods etc. Still had original heads. Needed new cam, lifters and rods had recently been replaced, probably cam to and not properly broken in cause there was a flat spot. So onto the build.

Heres my plan: let me know if there are any objections.
400 block bored 40 over, will be honing it.
Keeping pisrons and 5.7 rods in engine, just new piston rings
All new bearings in the lower end.
Standard head gaskets.
Aluminum heads, 64cc chambers 2.02 intake 1.6 exhaust screw in studs. Springs good for up to .600 cam lift. (Will have steam holes drilled)
Lunati voodoo cam intake duration 227
Exhaust duration 233
Intake loft .489
Exhaust lift .504
110 lobe separation
Hydraulic Flat tappet lifters and comp push rods
1.6 roller rocker arms
Edelbrock performer intake and 4 barrell holly 750 carb
True dual exhaust with headers out back of car.
This engine will produce about a 10:1 compression ratio.
Anything i should change? I havent bought the cam yet, asking advice a little first.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Lot depends on what you plan on doing with it. What torque converter, rear end?? I'm not a fan of 1.6 rockers, cams are designed around 1.5 rockers and I'm not going to second guess that. If you use them set your valve train geometry and check that's there is no interference. Buy the valve springs recommended for the cam or match the specs for install and open height. Make sure you set install height. Watch coil bind if using 1.6.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
Lot depends on what you plan on doing with it. What torque converter, rear end?? I'm not a fan of 1.6 rockers, cams are designed around 1.5 rockers and I'm not going to second guess that. If you use them set your valve train geometry and check that's there is no interference. Buy the valve springs recommended for the cam or match the specs for install and open height. Make sure you set install height. Watch coil bind if using 1.6.
I could always buy 1.5 rockers, just have a set of 1.6 on hand. As for trans, converter, and rear end. Ive got a turbo 350 with a shift kit in it with a stock torque converter, and a ford 9" with 3.89 gears and a detroit locker. I will be installing a 700r4 in it in the semi near future. I plan on daily driving it and beating on it a bit. Not really going to be a track car. Not that i wont be bringing it there ever. But lets just call it a daily driver.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greeetings 86 Monte & all; Now ya got two of the most senior guys postin' to ya. I'm on my 3rd 400 SBC dating back to 1985. The head gaskets I've used I believe were Fel Pro 1014's, double check me. But they should have steam holes & metal rings around the cylinders. And have never had a head gasket failure. And Mr. LilBowtie is VERY knowledgeable when it comes to building engines. I experimented with 1.6 rockers & the wear to the value train goes Way up. Plus the cam needs to be designed for 1.6 rockers, per Comp Cams VP Rick Sparks. As I had many conversations with him about that very subject. We also talked about oil to great length. If you can afford it, do a Hyd roller & consider their newer 4 pattern cams. Call Comp they usually are very helpful. They will want to know your intake runner volume & combustion chamber size. One other note be Very Careful what finish you put on your cylinders walls & buy the rings that like that finish, VERY important. Good Luck, Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 1 user

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
Greeetings 86 Monte & all; Now ya got two of the most senior guys postin' to ya. I'm on my 3rd 400 SBC dating back to 1985. The head gaskets I've used I believe were Fel Pro 1014's, double check me. But they should have steam holes & metal rings around the cylinders. And have never had a head gasket failure. And Mr. LilBowtie is VERY knowledgeable when it comes to building engines. I experimented with 1.6 rockers & the wear to the value train goes Way up. Plus the cam needs to be designed for 1.6 rockers, per Comp Cams VP Rick Sparks. As I had many conversations with him about that very subject. We also talked about oil to great length. If you can afford it, do a Hyd roller & consider their newer 4 pattern cams. Call Comp they usually are very helpful. They will want to know your intake runner volume & combustion chamber size. One other note be Very Careful what finish you put on your cylinders walls & buy the rings that like that finish, VERY important. Good Luck, Ole' Bob.
Thanks a ton for the reply and the info, i will take it seriously. I will be calling up comp i suppose and asking questions to them as far as the cam goes. Intake runner is 220cc on the heads im planning on buying. As far as a hydraulic roller cam if they are significantly more expensive im not sure exactly how much i can spend, but its definitely worth looking into, and i will. Appreciate the advice!

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The Voodoo isn't bad for what you are doing but needs about a 2400 stall converter. I hope that you have small runner heads and nothing too big cause you'll need bottom end. The dual plane intake will work fine and you should have a nice street engine.

• Agree

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
The Voodoo isn't bad for what you are doing but needs about a 2400 stall converter. I hope that you have small runner heads and nothing too big cause you'll need bottom end. The dual plane intake will work fine and you should have a nice street engine.
The heads im looking at have 220cc runners. Hows that look to you?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Bob, perhaps you should mention the experience you've had with main cap failures at or above 450 ft. lbs. with 400's? I know I read your thoughts about it in another thread. His build sounds like he might surpass that. Billet caps may be in order. What say you Bob?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The heads im looking at have 220cc runners. Hows that look to you?

Way tooo big for what you want to do - this whole combo has to work together. Tex - I don't think he will pull big numbers and should be ok. I have had 2 -400's I cracked the block on but that was 500 hp. I don't like the .040 over either and I hope it's a 2 bolt.

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
Way tooo big for what you want to do - this whole combo has to work together. Tex - I don't think he will pull big numbers and should be ok. I have had 2 -400's I cracked the block on but that was 500 hp. I don't like the .040 over either and I hope it's a 2 bolt.
It is a 2 bolt. What size intake runner should i be looking for then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor